Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assets in Jira Service Management Cloud is Getting Templates 🎉

Hi Atlassian Community 👋

Mohamed here, from Jira Service Management Assets Cloud Product Management team.

Setting up a new object schema in Assets can be daunting - where to start, what to include, what not to include… All these questions and more can be tricky depending on your use case.

So, to help make things easier we’re developing object schema templates that define the structure, tailored to specific team needs. This will help teams get set up and using Assets in Jira Service Management quicker and more efficiently by providing pre-configured object types and attributes relevant to the template use case.

This work is still under development, but we are super excited to share some progress with you today! We’ve finished the APIs required to create the IT Assets object schema, and while we're still hard at work working on the front-end pieces, it’s ready for you to invoke if you want to have a go.

If you’re interested, this is the object type structure contained within the template. Each object type also contains a variety of attributes designed for the use case:

• Hardware

• Phones

• Laptops

• Servers

• Red Hat Linux

• Windows Server

• Printers

• Models

• Hardware Models

• Model Categories

• Software Models

Learn more about how to use the Asset template experimental APIs:

We’d really love to hear your feedback about this template - especially around what object types and related attributes you need. If you have any requests for other templates you’d like to see in the future, please also let us know using this form

Cheers and happy schema-ing 🙌
Mohamed

10 comments

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

@Mohamed Hassan -

Thanks for your update and we will evaluate the template and provide our point of view of this template back to your team.

Best, Joseph

Like Mohamed Hassan likes this
Antonio Valle _G2_ May 23, 2023

Sounds great! As somebody who has been in the CMDB space since 1996, I miss this functionality. 

I would love to add a very specific use case: the hability to export and import templates. In big and distributed organisations will be very useful to create a set of templates (for example, the set of templates that can help me model a production plant) and then distribute that cmdb model to all my brands or companies in the group.

In this way we can embed CMDB knowledge in template sets. 

Hope this helps!
Antonio

Like # people like this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2023

I also ditto on @Antonio Valle _G2_ comment.

Best, Joseph

Mohamed Hassan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2023

Thanks @Joseph Chung Yin and @Antonio Valle _G2_ for the feedback. If you don't mind, can I reach out to learn a bit more about the templates export/import use case?

Thanks,

Mohamed

Like Antonio Valle _G2_ likes this
Antonio Valle _G2_ May 24, 2023

sure, @Mohamed Hassan 

Rick Westbrock May 30, 2023

This sounds interesting, I am going to explore the APIs. I did notice that the documentation for get list of templates says to set the X-ExperimentalApi: opt-in header but when I did that the response was "To call this endpoint, you must set the X-Experimental header with the value opt-in" so I had to change the header slightly to remove the Api suffix and it worked fine.

Is there any plan to allow customers to create their own templates? I don't really have a need for that myself at the current time but I could see that maybe multiple teams might need a similar schema configuration with restricted permissions so there might be value in allowing us to configure our own custom templates.

Like # people like this
Rick Westbrock May 30, 2023

Does the Create Object Schema API support a JSON payload? If it does then maybe you wouldn't need to support custom templates at all.

My thought is that I may want to create a schema that is similar to the template so if I can tweak the JSON definition of that template and pass that to the create object schema API that would be much easier than making a ton of API calls to create the schema, create the object types, create attributes etc.

Like # people like this
Mohamed Hassan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2023

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions @Rick Westbrock 🙏

Apologies for the inconvenience due to the documentation mismatch, we have updated it now 🎉

Regarding the ability to create a custom schema template either via the front end or through the APIs, unfortunately, the Create Object Schema API doesn't support JSON payload but definitely we agree that this will provide value and we have heard similar comments from some users during research, however our focus at the moment is to provide the ability to use templates via front end and then we will explores these ideas along with other ideas that we have in this space, so stay tuned 😉

Thanks,

Mohamed

Like # people like this
Rudy Holtkamp June 19, 2023

When you currently want to update/create objects you first need to figure out what the attribute id is before you can post. It would be helpfull to be able to use the attribute name/object scheme name/ etc instead of the id's. 

Antonio Biviano June 21, 2023

I also ditto on @Antonio Valle _G2_ comment.

Antonio

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events