Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

🎉 Announcing request type restrictions in Jira Service Management

Hello Atlassian community ðŸ‘‹

We’re excited to announce that you now have the ability to restrict request types in Jira Service Management – one of your top requested features!

There may be times when only specific people or groups should be able to raise certain requests. These could be requests reserved for managers, different departments in your company, or even those managing sensitive information such as HR or Legal teams.

Now you'll be able to control who has access to raise certain requests, whilst restricting access to all others from company-managed service projects. Read more about restricting request types

RestrictingRT-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter (3).gif

How it works

From your company-managed service project, navigate to Request types and select the request type you wish to restrict. Here you’ll be able to give access to specific people and groups to control who can raise this request.

If a user doesn’t have access to a request type, they won’t be able to raise that request as they won’t see it available as an option to them - even via search. That includes agents and admins who may not have access to raise certain requests, or move issues to restricted request types.

Restricted request types can be raised in all places and channels except email, chat, widget, and the virtual agent. Any request types being used by these channels will no longer appear to anyone regardless of access if restricted at this time. This is so anonymous users can still send requests via these channels!

Note: These restrictions only apply to raising a request, and don’t extend to viewing an issue once it’s created. To add permissions around who can view issues, you’ll need to set up issue security levels.

What's next?

This is our first release of request type restrictions and it won’t be our last! We’re currently working to bring this feature to team-managed service projects, and in the coming months, extending access beyond just users and groups - but also to customer accounts and organizations.

We’ll also be exploring future updates to make this feature even better once it’s out! During this time, we’d love to hear from you, so add comments below if you have any questions for the team.

35 comments

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2024

This is an incredible news!!! Amazingg!!!!

Like • # people like this
Eli Devlin June 24, 2024

Hi @Sam Knight , great enhancement, we were really looking forward to this. 

Are there any plans that might allow for restricting Portal Groups too? e.g. having an "IT only" portal group for Change, Incident, PIR, etc. but also having other non-IT-customer-facing Portal Groups like Access Requests or Facilities etc. 

What does a user see if a Portal Group only contains restricted Request Types, i.e. would they just see an empty Portal Group? or not even the Portal Group name?

Thanks, 

Eli

Sam Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 24, 2024

Thanks @Eli Devlin !

I appreciate your suggestion around setting permissions at a group level, this is being considered as a future enhancement but is not currently on our roadmap.

Happy to confirm that if a user does not have permissions to raise any of the Request Types in a Portal Group, they will not see the Portal Group or its name.

Thanks,

Sam

Eli Devlin June 24, 2024

That's great, thanks for your reply!

Like • Sam Knight likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2024

@Sam Knight Great addition! definetly a step forward in a long requested feature!

I did see in the release notes that it wont be possible yet for customers/portal only accounts or organizations. Is this high on the roadmap?

Only users and groups with Atlassian accounts can be given access to restricted request types. Project roles, customer accounts, and customer organizations are not supported at this time.

using internal groups is already a very nice touch but it would be even great to be able to just limit it based on an Organization (which could also be a department or external company)

David Quiram June 26, 2024

... and IT teams around the platform thusly rejoiced long into the night. 💜

Sam Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2024

Thank you for reaching out with your question @Dirk Ronsmans

We are actively working on supporting customer accounts and organisations. This will drop in the coming months and I'll provide an update here once ready :) 

Norbert Hoppe July 2, 2024

I'm really waiting for the possibility to restrict access for customer & organization because the portal is primarily for them ;-)

Masayuki Abe July 2, 2024

@Sam Knight 

I could not find the key icon on my site in the company managed target project. Has this feature already been released?

Like • Hari V likes this
Sam Knight
Atlassian Team
July 2, 2024

@Masayuki Abe would you mind sharing your site url and I can check for you? You can email it to me if you prefer.

It might be that your site is on a release track and has not yet got the latest version.

Yi Meng July 3, 2024

This is amazing. 

Do you have plan to apply similar feature to normal Jira Software projects (company-managed and team-managed)? I've heard my colleagues asking for this kind of feature for quite a while. 

Also, please consider to use project role in restricting the issue types. Thanks.

Rune Rasmussen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 4, 2024

My users have been asking about this kind of functionality for years and years.
Very nice that it's now available.

If this could be extended to Portal Groups as well, that would be amazing.

Eduardo Marques July 4, 2024

Will this same feature be available for Jira Software projects?

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2024

@Eduardo Marques "Request Types" (NOT issue types) are only available in JSM so that would be odd :)

MIN_MWO012 July 4, 2024

@Dirk Ronsmans Fully agree with you but maybe the functionality could be extended to Issue Types. This would be really useful for instances that don't have extra plugins like Scriptrunner to hide the issue types.

Like • Yi Meng likes this
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2024

This is AWESOME, thank you! One note Sam Knight - it would be great if we could use 'teams' and Jira project roles in addition to individuals and groups.

Individuals isn't really scalable if you have a lot of people, but groups can only be edited by Site Admins, which isn't scalable either. Management of the 'teams' and roles can be delegated though.

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2024

This is amazing! Thank you @Sam Knight .

l_liesse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 8, 2024

super

Tobias Bosshard July 8, 2024

Thanks!
And for us it's very important to exclude some groups or organisations (like "NOT IN")

Rafał Starzec July 9, 2024

Great feature! 

I hope that in the future it will be possible to add customer organizations as well.

Good job Atlassian :)

Gloribel Leticia Veras
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2024

What an amazing new !! 

This will help a lot of teams  :D  Counting the minutes to have it available for customer organizations

Great Job !! 

Shahar Nissim July 9, 2024

Can Project roles be used??

Holger Winkelmann July 9, 2024

Nice to see the first step, in our customer service project we really need to have the restriction for customers. Or even the category of the request type should be included in the restriction schema to build a proper catalog of services and requests.

Alae Loudiyi July 9, 2024

Excellent!

Hari V July 10, 2024

Is this still being rolled out in phases, or are all customers expected to have this feature by now? 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events