Announcing approval by email in Jira Service Management

Hello Community!

We’re excited to announce that Jira Service Management Cloud now supports the ability to approve requests directly from an email notification – a long-requested feature from our customers.

Users can already go from the email notification to the request and approve from there. Now, project admins can also choose to add Approve and Decline buttons to the email notification itself, and specify the level of security needed to approve from the notification.

Approval by email can be turned on at a project level in Customer notifications. Learn how to use approval by email.

approval by email.png
EDIT: This feature is now available to all customers, and stay tuned for more approvals features! 

Best,
Jason

39 comments

Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2021

Fantastic !!! 

Aplausos.gif

Like # people like this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

@Jason D_Cruz -

Is this functionality only available for the Cloud env?  if YES, then when will this function get ported over to the JSM Data Center (on-prems) env? and if so, what version will contain it?

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Jason D_Cruz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2021

@Joseph Chung Yin , Approval by email is already available in Server / DC as of version 3.12.

Here's a link to the release notes - https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicemanagement/jira-service-desk-3-12-x-release-notes-946615993.html

Note that they do not support the ability to approve without logging in. There are currently no immediate plans to port this particular functionality to DC.

Cheers,
Jason

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

@John Funk you were waiting for this right? :)

Like Jason D_Cruz likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 29, 2021

@Dirk Ronsmans  - Yes!!! I got to test it out last week - it is fantastic! It was exactly what I was looking for. 

Like # people like this
Emma Wright April 29, 2021

Sounds really exciting!

Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2021

@Jason D_Cruz this is really great. Do you expose this via any API? Specifically I would care about:

• Get configuration
    • Is this enabled at all 
    • Recipients
    • Acting user inclusion
    • Notification content
  • Update configuration
    • Enable / disable this
    • Set recipients
    • Set notification content
  • Get approval link per issue
Like Russell Stadler likes this
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2021

When will this be available for the Cloud?

Matthias Ortner May 2, 2021

Wuhuuuuuuuu!!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2021

@Kathi Paquet  - yes, that’s what this is for - and it works great !

Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2021

@John Funk Great!  I tried to activate this on my JSM Cloud but don't have the option for Security.  I submitted a help ticket to see if this has been pushed out to release!  I am excited about this!

Jason D_Cruz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2021

@Kathi Paquet : We are rolling this feature out incrementally. You should have this enabled in the next day or two. 

Jason D_Cruz
Atlassian Team
May 2, 2021

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority , our public API supports the ability to

• Return all configured approvals on an issue
  • Get status and approvers for a specific approval
  • Approve or decline a specific approval

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/service-desk/rest/api-group-request/#api-rest-servicedeskapi-request-issueidorkey-approval-get

Setting approvers can be done be updating the approvers source field with the issue edit API

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/New-to-Jira-Service-Management/How-to-set-approvers-while-creating-issue-rest-api/qaq-p/1344903

We do not provide a public API for configuring and enabling approvals to a workflow.

Like # people like this
aaron.thomas May 4, 2021

@Jason D_Cruz it works for me, but i click Approve from the email it redirects me to a browser instead of the app on the JSM mobile application, is there a way where it won't bring me to the browser but just straight to the app?

Like # people like this
Jason D_Cruz
Atlassian Team
May 5, 2021

Hi @aaron.thomas , Thanks for the feedback, and great to know it's working for you.

The link from the button takes you to the portal view in most cases and that's why it does not show up in the app. If a request is created without a request type, then approvals will go to the agent view. We will be adding deeplinking functionality for that case.

Like # people like this
Szymon Ptak May 6, 2021

Can I use those buttons in automation ? I mean the other type of notifications (via automation rules as a smart values)

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

Hi @Szymon Ptak  - If you are asking if you can Approve or Decline an issue using Automation, the answer is Yes. Under the New Action component, there is a section for Jira Service Management.

And under that section is an Action for Approve/Decline request

Like # people like this
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2021

This is an awesome feature!

Szymon Ptak May 7, 2021

But will automation let me accept via email?? I dont use built-in notifications because they are to simple and can't modify the whole content. So I guess I cant actually use them. Rofl

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

Why are they too simple? Or why can you not use them? You could use automation to do something similar, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through and it is not real clean. 

Szymon Ptak May 7, 2021

We're using cloud so we can't remove that first line in email :

—-—-—-—

and the fact we cannot use custom fields.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

If you haven't already, be sure to vote for this request and follow:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-4642

Like Szymon Ptak likes this
Maiv Xiong May 12, 2021

Is there any in the works about getting this approval by email for Change requests for CAB approval? 

Maiv Xiong May 12, 2021

Disregard my comment. I was able to verify my own question.

Jerrad Hermann May 12, 2021

Any way to force this to roll out for our instance of JSM? We'd like to use this right away, but it's not an option that is available to us yet.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events