Announcing Custom Sender Names for Jira Service Management notifications!

Hey Community! 😄

I’m Michelle, the Product Manager who’s been looking after Jira Service Management’s Customer Notifications. We’ve listened to your valuable feedback around how you’d like your customer notifications to look like and now project admins can configure how customer notifications from your projects display the email sender name! 🤩

We’ve built custom sender names because we know while some of you would prefer to show your agents' names for a personal touch, others would prefer to show the name of your project’s portal for a more "corporate approach". We’re always listening to your feedback and hope that with this feature, your customers are also better able to associate support emails with your organisation and there is less friction for your service desks. 😊

So now, there are two ways you can configure how customer notifications from your project display the email sender name:

• Display the portal name for system-generated notifications. For user-generated messages, display the user’s public name

• Always display the portal name of this service project [NEW]

How do I change my custom sender name for my Jira Service Management project?

1. From your service project, go to Project settings ⚙️ > Customer notifications.

2. Find the Sender name section and select an option for your service project.

Sender name options

• Display the portal name for system-generated notifications. For user-generated messages, display the user’s public name

When the service project generates the notification, the customer will see the service project’s portal name as the email sender. For example, the ‘request created’ type of notifications are usually generated by the service project.

When a user generates the notification, the customer will see that user’s public name as the email sender. For example, the ‘public comment added’ type of notifications are usually initiated by the admins or agents. The user’s public name is the admin’s or agent’s display name on Atlassian public forums such as Atlassian Community.

• Always display the portal name of this service project [NEW]

Customers will always see the service project’s portal name as the email sender regardless of whether the notification is generated by the service project or user behavior.

If needed, you can change the service project’s portal name by going to Project settings ⚙️ > Portal settings > Name

Learn more about how to customise sender names for team-managed projects and company managed projects.

15 comments

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2022

Glad to know about this flexibility @Michelle Tan

Like Michelle Tan likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2022

Glad to see more options are becoming available. In some use cases, agents might not want to share their public name (i.e. full name) when sending comments to customers. Will there be an option to choose your own display name, f.e. "Dave" or "Dave M." instead of "Dave Mathijs"?

Like # people like this
Michelle Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2022

Hey Dave, you're absolutely right about this! Agents can change their display name - we call it public name at Atlassian 😊

To do this, when you're in Jira Service Management: On the top-right hand corner of your screen, click on your icon to access a dropdown menu on 'Your Profile and Settings'.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 5.02.34 pm.png

Select 'Account settings'. This will take you to a new tab for your Atlassian Account where you can edit details in your profile, including your 'Public name'. Voila! 😄

image.png

Like # people like this
Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

Do you know why I wouldn't be able to find this setting under my projects? 

2022-05-12 13_25_21-Clipboard.png

Michelle Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2022

Hey @Paul Krueger ,

We were gradually rolling out the feature last week but now it's been released to everyone - so you should be able to find it in your project settings now! 😊

Stephen Procter May 22, 2022

Hi @Michelle Tan

I am getting ERROR: 1G0DSNK as soon as I navigate to the Customer notifications page. Any idea what's wrong?

image.png

Michelle Tan
Atlassian Team
May 24, 2022

Hey @Stephen Procter ,

Sorry about that, that was an edge case bug that we've since fixed! You should be able to access the new feature in your customer notifications settings now 😊

Like Stephen Procter likes this
Stephen Procter May 24, 2022

Hi @Michelle Tan ,

Yes it's working now - thanks for the quick fix! 😊

Yar June 15, 2022

This is amazing! Thank you Team Atlassian and @Michelle Tan

Jimmy Karlsson June 20, 2022

I have changed this setting to:

"Always display the portal name of this service project." under Sender name in the correct project.

But our emails still say e.g "John Smith (Jira) <mail@mail.com>" as the sender.

Any suggestions why?

Like Kalin U likes this
Michelle Tan
Atlassian Team
June 27, 2022

Hey @Jimmy Karlsson ,

Do your emails contain the footer “Powered by Jira Service Management”?

Ali Cargo July 11, 2022

Hi @Michelle Tan 

Is there a possibility to remove the "anaylyst_name commented:" field when replying to tickets. Or even better an abilitly to change this to support analyst. 

Our current work-around is the above soultion of changing all alayst's full name to initals. 

Thanks, 

Ali 

Michelle Tan
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2022

Hi @Ali Cargo

Yes, you can remove the support agent/analyst's name when replying to tickets!

To do this, you will need to change your 'Public comment added' and 'Public comment edited' customer notifications templates. Please note that templates can't be edited on a Free plan.

If you're on a paid Standard/Premium/Enterprise plan:

1. When you're in your Jira Service Management project: On the bottom of the left navigation bar to access 'Project settings'.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 11.43.31 am.png

2. On the left navigation bar, navigate to the 'Customer notifications' page to edit your templates.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 11.53.23 am.png

3. Remove the field that you no longer would like to be shown in email notifications.

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 11.27.37 am.png

Hopefully this is clear and helpful! 😄

Mika July 23, 2022

Dear @Michelle Tan ,

we've edited the 'Public comment added' and 'Public comment edited' customer notifications templates and changed the notifier from the agent to the service portal name on the templates, and have also set customer notifications to always use the portal name. This is all good and well - *email* notifications to customers get sent as intended, without exposing the agent name to the world.

However, the actual customer service portal web pages still would appear to display the name of the person/agent who replied to the customer (i.e. saved the comment) - so the customer still can see the name of the person (which we wanted to hide / avoid) and not the name of the service portal? Any suggestions re how to hide the name of the person name who replied to the customer on the service portal web pages?

kind regards,

Mika

Daniel Louw October 4, 2023

I use my atlassian account for many things, including now to handle customer service requests.

I would like the sender name on all outgoing customer notifications to say "Daniel Louw from {Service Desk Project Name}".

The only way I can achieve this it seems is by changing my display name on my atlassian account, which will impact what is shown if I engage in these forums, on any of my other jira projects or whatever.

Is there no way to set a user-specific-project-specific sender name, similar to how you build up the subject with templates? That will be really valuable I think

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events