reopening a resolved ticket

Janine Mostert August 9, 2019

Hello, 

Our People Support team noticed that when someone comments on a resolved ticket, that they don't get notified and it does not reopen the ticket. Is there a way of managing this so that it is reopened when somebody comments again?

3 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
IT-Administrator September 29, 2020

Hey together,

the reason why its not showing in the "All open - queue" is that you also need to change the resolution of the ticket. If the status is changed to closed also the resolution will be changed to "Solved" - - - Solved tickets wont show up back in the "Open" queue.

So here is the workaround.

Go to -> Project Settings -> Workflows

1. Choose the Workflow which contains the transition u created "from closed to reopen after comment" for e.G

2. Edit the transition

3. Add "Post function"

4. Choose "Update issue field" and say "Add"

5. Choose issue field: Resolution

6. Choose Field Value: None, say "Add"

Thats it.

Check if the Ticket will show up in the "All open - queue" after you commented again.

Cheers

Gary

Andrea Aznar June 14, 2021

Hello, 

We currently have a workflow that allows people to reopen a request by making a comment. We are thinking about disabling that. However, my concern is, can I also block people from making comments? If I cannot, then someone could ask a question, but it will not reopen the request) and therefore, be missed. 

Is there a way to block people from commenting on a closed request? 

Thank you, 

Andrea

6 votes
Answer accepted
Manuel Bastardo Castellano
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2019

Hello @Janine Mostert try this:

Reopen ticket with automation rule

When a Service Desk customer answers an already resolved (and closed) ticket, it’s often desired that the ticket is reopened in order to agents be able to work on the customers' request.

This can be accomplished by using Jira Service Desk automation and a custom workflow transition. The Automation tool inside Service Desk already has a template to do this, however, if you’re using a custom workflow for your issue types, then it might not work out of the box and some customisation must be done.

The first thing to verify if your workflow has a transition from the Closed to the Open status. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Go to your Project settings > Workflows

2. Click on the pencil icon to edit the workflow of your issue type

Creating the reopen transition

It is not possible to add outgoing transitions to an active workflow. To do this, you must create a copy of the workflow and edit the newly created copy. Follow the steps below to do this:

1. Go to your Project settings > Workflows

2. Click on Copy and fill the new name for your workflow – you’ll be redirected to the workflow edition screen

3. Click on + Add Transition:

1. in the From Status, you set the name of your Closed status

2. in the To Status, you set the name of your Open status

3. in the Name, you set the name of the reopen transition, like Reopening Ticket

4. add the new transition

4. Go to your Project Settings > Workflows > Add Workflow > Add Existing

5. Select the newly created and edited workflow > Next

6. Associate with the desired issue types – preferable with the same issue types of the old workflow, before adding the new transition

Adding the automation rule

Now that you’re set up with the reopen transition, you need to add the automation rule. As commented above, Service Desk already has a default template for that that we can use. The step to do this is very simple:

1. Go to your Project settings > Automation

2. Click in Add Rule > select Comment re-opens issue

3. Edit the fields accordingly:

1. Issue Matches – change the status name to the name of your Closed status

2. Then do this – change the transition name to the name of the Reopen ticket transition that you created – or confirmed that exists – before

4. Save the rule

1 vote
Janine Mostert August 13, 2019

Hello, thanks for the very detailed info. That was easy to put into practice. It seems to work as when I tested it by commenting on a resolved ticket the status changed to waiting for support.

However, the ticket does not reappear in the open queues, it seems to be nowhere. I tried to configure a new queue by typing in Status = Reopened ticket. But this does not work. 

Can you help me, please? Thanks

Janine Mostert August 14, 2019

@Manuel Bastardo Castellano not sure if you got another notification without the tag :) 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2019

Hi @Janine Mostert check the step 3.2 in the Adding the automation rule and select the transition wanted (open) if don't exist you must create first.

If you want send me a screenshot from WF and the automation rule. 👀

Hi @Manuel Bastardo Castellano I did this but I can't see it reopened in the queues

reopened.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2019

you can see whats happen in the log of the rule

reopen.png

Send the workflow screenshot

Janine Mostert August 15, 2019

In the log it just shows that it was executed but it does not tell me where it is.

The transition is to reopen the ticket. Therefore it turns from resolved to wait for support. However, it disappears out of the resolved queue. But does not turn up in the all open queue. So where does it go?

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2019

To the destination status from the transition selected. in your workflow you be abble to see where it goes.

Janine Mostert August 15, 2019

I can see that it goes to the destination status 'waiting for support'. But all waiting for support status types usually end up in the 'All Open' queue. However, it does not go back to this queue. Do we need to create a new queue? 

Rising Star
Rising Star
August 16, 2019

Check if waiting for support status are in the all open queue. 

Willie Louw March 27, 2024

Hi guys. Have same issue of it correctly changed status to Waiting for support (log says Success) but it's also not displaying in the queue for all open tickets. On checking the Issue itself (Issue viewer), on the top right is says Waiting for support on the button, but to the right of it, it has a checkmark and Done, and when hovering over the Done, it says You cannot edit the resolution field. Could it perhaps be that because this Resolution value is stuck on Done, it is not displayed on the Open tickets queue? Is there any way I can update the Resolution value to not be Done (revert to the state when the ticket originally arrived for example), together with the rest of the rule?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events