Why is the attachment button missing from the comment box toolbar Edited

In one of our Service Desk projects when you comment on an issue there is an Attachments button on the toolbar of the comment box. You can click it and choose to attach a file to send to the customer. 

In that same issue if I click a workflow transition button the comment box on the screen that comes up does not have the attachment button in the toolbar. 

In a different project that button is there when I use the exact same screen. I've checked all the permissions I know and I can't yet find the difference or why this button wouldn't show up in one project but it would in the other.

The primary difference between the two projects is that the one the button appears on the toolbar of the screen, is one that was created as a Business project type with the Project Management template but was changed to a Service Desk project later. I have compared screens and field configurations and they all seem to match though and can't find a setting that governs the comment box. JIRAMissingButton.JPG

3 answers

0 vote

Does the user have "attach file" permission in the project?

They do, I'm testing this as a jira-administrator with project lead and project administrator roles. I can attach files just fine. 

I've done a little more testing and confirmed that when I setup a project with the Business type -> Project Management template that button will appear on that screen. 

If I setup the project as Service desk type -> IT Service Desk template the button will not appear on that screen but it will appear on the comment box for the issue like in the original screen shot. 

I've also made sure the comment permissions and attachments permissions are identical between the two projects. image.png

Ok, good set of checks.  The next one is to see if the attachments "field" is on the edit screens for both projects?

It is, both projects have the attachment field in the Edit Issue Screen. I've also made sure they were using the same Field Configuration scheme. The Project Management project was using the System Default Field Configuration so I changed the Service Desk project to match that and reindexed as a precaution, the button still doesn't appear in the comment box toolbar. Both the original field configuration and the System default both use the Wiki Style Renderer for the comment box.image.png

This is all incorrect. I have just found out why this kept happening.

It's impossible to add a comment WITH an attachment UNLESS the ticket already has a file attached.

This happens because the Attachment button is only shown as a convenience list to pick existing attachment.

I reckon this is a bug, and the Attachment button should ALWAYS be rendered, even when no files are attached to the ticket.

Doing so will ultimately allow people don't have to navigate away, or get distracted, when they need to add an attachment to their comment.

Hi;  I'm really wondering same question.

Why the attachment button doesn't appear some comment toolbar?

checked all your commnet above and noticed that, it is not related with attachement field.

did you find any solution? 

Attach one file to the ticket, then the comment editor will render the attachment button.

noticed that; first you have to drag and drop attachment to part of attach. then , attachement button appears in the all comments task bar.

if there is an attach in attachement part, attachemnt button appears  

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Asked Feb 02, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

What are the must-have addons?

Hi all, We are trialing Jira Service Desk for a large-ish, flat, team-based organization where members can serve on multiple teams. A few needs that are not out of the box... Assigning i...

963 views 12 5
View question

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you