Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show only request types on initial Portal page

Tom Horton February 13, 2020

I'm trying to configure the portal for my service desk and I've added some knowledge base articles through confluence for my service desk project. Before adding the kb articles, when I clicked on the service desk icon in the portal I would go directly to the list of Request Types.

With the kb articles, when I click on the service desk icon in the portal I get a page that has some of the articles listed at the top and then a button that says "Need to raise a request? Contact us", which I need to click on to see the Request Type.

How do I disable "Learn more about" area and go directly to the Request Types?

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 12.31.43 PM.png

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Horton February 21, 2020

I found the problem. When I create a category called Server Admin in the Knowledge Base section of the confluence space I linked to, the landing page for my service desk appeared like the screenshot. If there are categories defined, they are shown before the list of Request Types. That's good when you have a lot of categories to for the user to search for their own answer, but not that great when you are just setting up your service desk and it's knowledge base. 

I deleted the category and now it goes directly to the list of Request Types. I'll add more articles and then create categories later.

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2020

HI @Tom Horton 

Sorry, I couldn't remember how I overcome that problem you experienced... but well done for figuring it out! 

On your point of "I'll add articles and then create categories later", you will still encounter that problem when you next create a category and assign a post to it.

However an alternative solution if you wanted a portal for knowledge base containing categories, would be to create a new Jira Service Desk with just that categories and posts linked to them, with no Request Types.

I have a few of them in play. This solution gives your customers the best of both worlds. And both portals are searchable.

Here is an example:

Customer Portal with exra portals.jpg

-Mike

0 votes
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2020

Hi @Tom Horton 

Is the customer portal in your image your default Jira Service Desk Customer Portal? 

I am asking this because it looks like you have set up another Jira Service Desk with no request types and only a KB, which is what you are seeing. 

What you need to do is in your default Jira Service Desk (where you have setup your request types), click on Project Settings - Knowledge Base, and on Link a Confluence page point it to your Confluence KB. 

Auto-Search on Request Forms can be turned on or off for your Request Types or linked to specific labels. 

-Mike

Tom Horton February 17, 2020

Mike,

I have two service desk projects that are part of my help desk portal. The screenshot I attached is the content that shows when I click on the Service Desk icon that shows on my main Help Desk webpage. I need to click on the "Need to raise a request?" link to go to the list of Request Types for service disk. It's like I mistakenly added a layer of hierarchy. I'd rather have the list of Request Types appear and not have to click on the "Need to raise a request?" link.

The service desk project that I'm referencing doesn't have any request type groups they are all at the top level and belong to a single group.

Hope that makes sense.

Like David Freedman likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events