Move Issues from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Moving an issue

Hi there,

we are using JIRA Software (Server 7.1) and JIRA Service Desk (Server 3.1).

When buying our licences for the server version, we were reassured by our your distribution partner, that moving issues from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software (and the other way around) is also possible with the server version.

The Use Case:

With JIRA Software we handle requirements (even from external partners), JIRA Service Desk is our bug tracker.

Our Customer sometimes cannot tell apart a bug from a requirement, that´s why we need to move a bug from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software.

However, after consulting the documentation and checking all the sources I could find, I was not able to tell, why I am still not able to move an ticket across the applications.

I can move an issue from one JIRA Software project to another though.

Cheers

Isabel

2 answers

0 votes

Um, I'm not sure about the use of the word "move" here.

JIRA Core provides us with issue tracking, with issues grouped into projects.  JIRA Service Desk provides a layer on top of some of the projects that changes and adds to the interface for the project, so that customers get a simplified view and Agents have more tracking information.

But it doesn't separate the calls out.  A Service Desk item (whether it's a bug, a call, a question etc) is still an issue in a JIRA project.  There's nothing to "move" - you've got an issue in a project.

Could you explain "move" as you see it?  What are you trying to move, and where from and to?

Hi, i have the same question. We need to move a JIRA service desk issue to a project in the normal jira.

But if i click on "More" -> "Move" i can only select projects in JIRA service desk. We have an application link between JIRA SD and JIRA

An issue in JIRA service desk is already in JIRA - that's the point of Service Desk being an application, it sits on top of JIRA, not alongside it.

That is, unless you have two JIRA installations, one with Service Desk and one without.  These are separate systems, you can't just "move" from one to another, it's an export/import task.  (Or synchronisation...)

Yes we have to seperate Installations. So we need to install JIRA SD on top of JIRA and then we can move issues!?

Maybe.  Installing JSD on your second JIRA will let you use SD functions.  Then you can build your service desk in the right JIRA and you'll be able to move issues from SD projects to none-SD projects in that second JIRA.  (However... bear in mind that doing that may lose the users service request information, as they can't see the target project)

It will not let you move one issue from one system to another.

What would the export/import process look like?

Echoing needs of OP. We have Jira Software, and looking to migrate our forward-facing support to Jira Service Desk. One of the big selling points for pitching such a move is ticket interchangeability:

1. Issue comes in through front line (Service Desk)
  2. Identified as dev issue, gets moved to engineering team (Jira Software)
  3. Code developed and deployed, ticket routed back to front line (Service Desk) for customer notification.

Is there seriously no way for these two products -- built on the same Core library -- to inter-operate in such a fashion?

"Move" is still the wrong answer.  It destroys the service desk information, leaves the customer with no reference (it looks like you've deleted their request), and looks odd when you move it back.

An agent should use the "create linked issue" option (which wasn't there at the time of the original question), to punt something over to developers. 

Is there a way script runner allows to copy the summary and description of the issue from service desk to jira software project?

Please know that we have service desk and jira software on the same instance.

You don;t have to, the issue raised is already there, and the Agent option to "create linked issue" does the copy for you if that's what you need.

My question is why won't the comments in the ITS issue copy over to the JIRA issue when you use the option "Create linked issue"? The only way I know how to get the comments in the issue to copy over is by moving the ITS issue to the project, which as was stated previously, causes problems for any public facing customers and/or Support Agents that won't have visibility into the JIRA issue and communications from the Developers/Engineers.

As you know, comments from the Support Agent and Customer's are very helpful to our Engineers in resolving the issues. It seems like this is a feature that could be added fairly easily since the option to "Create linked issue" already copies over the Summary and Description. 

Jack Brickey Community Champion Jul 26, 2018

@Michael Beaird, welcome to the Community.

Creating a linked issue is not the same a cloning an issue. Creating a linked issue is intended to copy over only the key fields (summary, description, etc) which does not include the comments. Moreover if the Create linked issue was designed to do this it would not 'keep' up w/ the commenting that takes place post creation of the link.

You could consider using something like Scriptrunner or other scripting addon and constructing a Listener to copy comments.

ok thank you @Jack Brickey. I'll have to look into those options.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 13, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Jira Service Desk – Don’t be afraid, the journey begins with curiosity!

...be more productive while being fun to use at the same time. For some, getting started can be a bit intimidating. This is especially true if Jira Service Desk is your first exposure to Atlassian...

18,482 views 13 31
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you