Move Issues from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software

Isabel Pietruk July 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Moving an issue

Hi there,

we are using JIRA Software (Server 7.1) and JIRA Service Desk (Server 3.1).

When buying our licences for the server version, we were reassured by our your distribution partner, that moving issues from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software (and the other way around) is also possible with the server version.

The Use Case:

With JIRA Software we handle requirements (even from external partners), JIRA Service Desk is our bug tracker.

Our Customer sometimes cannot tell apart a bug from a requirement, that´s why we need to move a bug from JIRA Service Desk to JIRA Software.

However, after consulting the documentation and checking all the sources I could find, I was not able to tell, why I am still not able to move an ticket across the applications.

I can move an issue from one JIRA Software project to another though.

Cheers

Isabel

4 answers

1 vote
Sam December 13, 2018

More > Move is working for me. You will be asked then for values of missing field (if you are using different screen and fields schemes)

0 votes
Smita July 10, 2020

Can someone please help me? I am an agent in JSD and Org Admin in JIRA but I dont see Create Linked Issue option at all
What is missing or how can I enable this option? We are using Cloud services for both

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2020

This need to be a new question/post.

there a number of things that will drive the right answer here but assuming you are on Cloud and you are using a Classic project then once you click on the link issue icon you should see a link to create linked issues as below.

3F562D63-CD69-4276-B68F-45F2B61DB7EC.jpeg

0 votes
Frank Koehl January 10, 2018

Echoing needs of OP. We have Jira Software, and looking to migrate our forward-facing support to Jira Service Desk. One of the big selling points for pitching such a move is ticket interchangeability:

1. Issue comes in through front line (Service Desk)
  2. Identified as dev issue, gets moved to engineering team (Jira Software)
  3. Code developed and deployed, ticket routed back to front line (Service Desk) for customer notification.

Is there seriously no way for these two products -- built on the same Core library -- to inter-operate in such a fashion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

"Move" is still the wrong answer.  It destroys the service desk information, leaves the customer with no reference (it looks like you've deleted their request), and looks odd when you move it back.

An agent should use the "create linked issue" option (which wasn't there at the time of the original question), to punt something over to developers. 

Like # people like this
jira guy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2018

Is there a way script runner allows to copy the summary and description of the issue from service desk to jira software project?

Please know that we have service desk and jira software on the same instance.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2018

You don;t have to, the issue raised is already there, and the Agent option to "create linked issue" does the copy for you if that's what you need.

Michael Beaird July 26, 2018

My question is why won't the comments in the ITS issue copy over to the JIRA issue when you use the option "Create linked issue"? The only way I know how to get the comments in the issue to copy over is by moving the ITS issue to the project, which as was stated previously, causes problems for any public facing customers and/or Support Agents that won't have visibility into the JIRA issue and communications from the Developers/Engineers.

As you know, comments from the Support Agent and Customer's are very helpful to our Engineers in resolving the issues. It seems like this is a feature that could be added fairly easily since the option to "Create linked issue" already copies over the Summary and Description. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2018

@Michael Beaird, welcome to the Community.

Creating a linked issue is not the same a cloning an issue. Creating a linked issue is intended to copy over only the key fields (summary, description, etc) which does not include the comments. Moreover if the Create linked issue was designed to do this it would not 'keep' up w/ the commenting that takes place post creation of the link.

You could consider using something like Scriptrunner or other scripting addon and constructing a Listener to copy comments.

Like # people like this
Michael Beaird July 26, 2018

ok thank you @Jack Brickey. I'll have to look into those options.

Sophia Li April 4, 2019

Tried 'Creating a linked Issue", but Software projects are not in the drop down. Any idea what configuration/permission I missed?

Like # people like this
Micha de Roos December 9, 2019

I have exactly the same thing. And every guide tells me it should be there. This is very frustrating. 

Like # people like this
Strukton Service Account GIT April 3, 2020

same for me. But strange enough it is posible to link to a JSD issue from Jira Server. Link let me select which "server" to use

Kelly Ballwanz April 7, 2020

We are having the same issue.  Every guide seems to say this is possible, but I can NOT select a project outside of Service Desk in which to create the issue. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2020

Kelly, it definitely works but you need full permissions to do this. Here is a thread that discuss this further. Please have a look and let us know if you are still having issue afterwards. move-issue-how-to-limited-permission 

it is sort of the reverse (preventing move) but you should get the idea.

Strukton Service Account GIT April 9, 2020

I am Jira admin on both JSD in the cloud and Jira SW on prem. Please note that for Jira SW authentication is with Active Directory. On JSD I setup the accounts myself. Might this be the cause that I can not link from JSD to JSW. Although it is possible to link from JSW to JSD.
Any clues for this?

Like Ivailo Ivanov likes this
Strukton Service Account GIT April 9, 2020

Maybe an answer in this thread provides the answer:
"That is, unless you have two JIRA installations, one with Service Desk and one without.  These are separate systems, you can't just "move" from one to another, it's an export/import task.  (Or synchronisation...)"

Is this also true for linking (anway in one of both directions)?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2020

If you use "applications links" between the two separate Jira installs, then you can use "link to another Jira system" - not as good as "link to issue in this jira", but better than "link to a url"

Marta Solohub May 28, 2020

I have very similar issue, when I try to create linked issue I see only JSD project and not from Jira. Can you advise?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2020

@Marta Solohub, make sure you have permissions to at least browse the JSW project in question.

Marta Solohub May 28, 2020

Thank you Jack! Can you please let me know where to check permissions properly?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2020

well you will need to be an admin of the project which I'm guessing you are not. Go to the JSW project > project settings > permissions. If you are not an admin of the project find them and request their support.

Marta Solohub May 29, 2020

Yes, I am admin, but my use case the following:

Jira Servicedesk needs to be escalated to dev team in Jira. As I understand for this we need to use instead of Move, Create linked issue, correct? No field  Server.
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 17.31.41.png

But I am not able to choose in Jira Servicedesk dev project in Jira. 

What permissions should be fixed and where? in Servicedesk or in Jira?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

if you are saying you have a JSD issue that requires the Software team to address and the Software team is currently using JSW then yes, you should create an issue in the appropriate JSW project and link the two issues. You should not "move" the issue to JSW (IMO). In JSD you need to be an agent or admin in JSW project you need at least browse, create, link.

Marta Solohub May 29, 2020

As I mentioned I am admin. I need to understand if it possible to create ticket via Created linked issue in JSD to Jira

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2020

if you are on Server, to the best of my knowledge, the "Create linked issue" doesn't exist but I don't use server so cannot confirm. If you are seeing that option then great. If not, then you can still create an issue and link the two using "relates to", "blocks", as examples. If you are not seeing the JSW project in the drop down when trying to create the issue then you need to check to ensure you have Browse, create and link permissions for the JSW project.

Like Ivailo Ivanov likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2016

Um, I'm not sure about the use of the word "move" here.

JIRA Core provides us with issue tracking, with issues grouped into projects.  JIRA Service Desk provides a layer on top of some of the projects that changes and adds to the interface for the project, so that customers get a simplified view and Agents have more tracking information.

But it doesn't separate the calls out.  A Service Desk item (whether it's a bug, a call, a question etc) is still an issue in a JIRA project.  There's nothing to "move" - you've got an issue in a project.

Could you explain "move" as you see it?  What are you trying to move, and where from and to?

Alexander Mateasik November 3, 2016

Hi, i have the same question. We need to move a JIRA service desk issue to a project in the normal jira.

But if i click on "More" -> "Move" i can only select projects in JIRA service desk. We have an application link between JIRA SD and JIRA

Like Sami Aqel likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2016

An issue in JIRA service desk is already in JIRA - that's the point of Service Desk being an application, it sits on top of JIRA, not alongside it.

That is, unless you have two JIRA installations, one with Service Desk and one without.  These are separate systems, you can't just "move" from one to another, it's an export/import task.  (Or synchronisation...)

Like dvzakusilo likes this
Alexander Mateasik November 3, 2016

Yes we have to seperate Installations. So we need to install JIRA SD on top of JIRA and then we can move issues!?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2016

Maybe.  Installing JSD on your second JIRA will let you use SD functions.  Then you can build your service desk in the right JIRA and you'll be able to move issues from SD projects to none-SD projects in that second JIRA.  (However... bear in mind that doing that may lose the users service request information, as they can't see the target project)

It will not let you move one issue from one system to another.

Rick Whitley January 4, 2017

What would the export/import process look like?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events