Is there any way to create a relationship between field values to determine another field's value?

Francesco C November 20, 2017

This may be a bit complex to explain and I have a strong feeling 3rd party tools would need to be utilized to accomplish this, but I am trying to identify a way that we can use custom fields within transitions to generate what I will call a 'risk score' for a change in our system.

As the need for classification of changes increases, we want to essentially create a set of yes/no fields that based on how they are answered would generate a high/med/low risk score for the associated request so that we can affect how the workflow is transitioned through from a change management perspective.

Has anyone attempted this or been able to find a way to essentially automate the calculation of risk related to a change request in their system? We are trying to limit the amount or at least the type of human input necessary when it comes to classifying the risk posed by changes to applications and systems.

2 answers

6 votes
Johnson Wang November 21, 2017

Hi @Francesco C,

You can create relationships between field values to determine another field's value using the Power Scripts add-on.

We made a video tutorial walking you through in detail here, and we've also posted a short, sample script you can copy and paste or forward to your engineer.

Hope this helps!

Johnson

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2017

I've done this many times.  Initially with code providing calculated fields, but later with ScriptRunner (which saved me having to bundle stuff into add-ons).  These all looked at the data the users were entering and built risk scores (and other fields) directly from it.

There are some risk calculation add-ons which might be worth a look too, but if you've got unusual or complex rules for calculating risk, they might not work for you.

Francesco C November 20, 2017

I'd be interested in discussing further how you accomplished this as it sounds exactly like what I am looking to do.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2017

I tend to use a mix of post-functions (for when I want to update fields) and scripted fields (for display only calculated data)

Get started at https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.1/jira/recipes/workflow/postfunctions.html and https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.1/jira/recipes/scriptfields.html

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events