Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an issue with removing customers from the customer part of Jira Service Desk?

Brianna Barnes May 10, 2018

Somehow we have users that shouldn't be listed as customers in a certain project. They have accounts, and we don't want to remove the account. We just want to remove them from this specific project.

These users aren't showing up under people, so it looks like they were added as customers somehow. And we don't know how, but there is no option for me to remove them from being a customer of this project.

I've tried adding to an organization, and that doesn't work. When I remove the org, they just go back to being listed as individual users. I'm at my wits end here.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Glauco
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2018

Hi @Brianna Barnes

Could you check if Any logged in user is listed under the browse projects permission? If yes, please remove it. Let me know if this works for you.

Brianna Barnes May 11, 2018

Ah! I think this solved this issue!

But the weird thing is, I've created MANY projects, most being Service Desks, and I've never had this issue before. Thank ALL of you for the help. I hate that this seems like it was SUCH an obvious fix.

Chris Hassler July 19, 2018

Could this be caused by any JIRA user having the Global browse users permissions?

I'm having the same issue as Brianna, but I have never had that permission assigned to "Any logged in user".

Please, any help would be invaluable at this point.

Thanks

Ankit Arora January 14, 2019

Hi @Chris Hassler,

I had a similar problem.

The only difference I had, was a different group in the browse permission of the service desk project.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ankit

0 votes
CaseyCo June 5, 2018

AFAIK and for our instance; users will show up under Customers if they have the 'Browse Projects' permission.

Things to check:

Settings/Customer permissions - if this is set to 'Anyone can send a request', all users in your instance show up under Customers

Settings/Permissions - What roles/groups are allowed to 'Browse Projects'? If you have a group here or you've given a group a role from 'Settings/People' that has the Browse Projects ability they'll show up under Customers

Settings/People - As above, check what roles people/groups are assigned to and what permissions these roles have under the 'Settings/Permissions'

If a customer is directly added to Customers and not in an organization, they can be removed from the project Customers under 'Settings/People' where they'll be listed as 'Service Desk Customers'. If they have been added as part of an org. you can click on the organisation and to the right of the user's name an 'x' will appear if you hover over their name. If they still appear then they still have the Browse Projects somehow due to groups/roles and the permission scheme.

Now, where's the option to only allow actual customers under Customers? :)

0 votes
amanda.follit@wearethink.com May 31, 2018

I have exactly the same problem

I have a User Group in User Management which is 'All staff' for a company - 'All staff' is added into Service Desk as 'Service Desk Customers' for Users and Roles.

They are then in the Customers section as customers.

If you go https://jiraurl/projects/PROJECTNAME/customers customers are listed there as they were put there before being put an in an organisation.

You can delete the customers within an organisation but not when they have been placed directly into 'Customers'.

This is a problem and in fact for us could break GDPR as we are unable to remove them from a project that they are in.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2018
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2018

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas Authority, thanks for chiming in here with this. However, i'm a bit perplexed by this workaround TBH. I thought that removing from an org only placed them back into the Customer list. Maybe the "delete org" action is the trick? Further, in reading back thru Brianna's notes I think she may have already attempted this but not sure. @Brianna Barnes, can you please try Boris' steps on one of your Customers and let us know if it works for you?

BTW, I searched in Atlassian's bug reports but didn't find anything there so I plan to open a support request w/ Atlassian in hopes they can spread some light on this topic. I will chime back here as I learn more. Here is the ticket (not that anyone else can view but it will serve me in the future) -  #JST-389505

@Jack Brickeyyou are correct, that was one of the work arounds that I did try and it didn't work. When you remove the user in an org, it drops it as an individual customer in the customer view (still not under the people section) and when you delete the org ALL the customers get dropped into the customer view.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2018

Your service desk is configured to grant access to anyone in the system. Switch it so that only people in customers are allowed to access and you should be able to remove them.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2018

@Brianna Barnes,

so I heard back from Atlassian and I have copied their response below. I don't know if this is your situation or not but suspect it is. If so it appears to be WAD (works as designed). To be honest I don't like that answer and I doubt I would implement that way, but I sort of understand it. I haven't tried changing my config to test this but will. Can you verify that this is your issue and if you change your Customer Permision then it will address your needs?

======== snip ========

The customer xxxxxxxxx exists on the Customer list due to the Customer Permission is currently configured to Anyone can send a request without logging in as you can see at

As the customer does exist on your site, the customer would have access to the project. If the permission is set to Customers my team adds to the project, then only you would deny access to the user.

The difference between People and Customer list is People section is where you configure other roles including customers such as admins, team, collaborators while the Customer list will display all users who have access the project as all users including admins and agent can also become customers (act as a customer).

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas AuthorityThis is what my settings are currently set to, so I'm not sure that's the issue either.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 11.17.19 AM.png

Rising Star
Rising Star
May 11, 2018

What about your global settings? Is that set to no?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 11, 2018

That shoots a hole in the response from Atlassian. While it might be what I see in my instance it isn’t your situation. I will update the ticket with them as such. Ultimately you may need to open a ticket with them so they can log into your instance to investigate. 

@Boris Berenberg - Atlas AuthorityThe global setting is the same, we made sure that it's only who we want and not everyone that has access. So this is the same thing.

@Jack BrickeyThe funny thing is, I have a ticket going with Atlassian as well, and so far we haven't been able to figure it out there either.

Sneha Bose January 19, 2021

so its just not only me going crazy with JIRA

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

you simply need to remove them from the projects where they do not belong. If a customer is on multiple projects and you remove them from one project it only removes them from that project. If you want to remove them from all projects then remove them from the User Management screen. Sometimes what happens is that a user is added to an org and that org is used on multiple projects. If you share an org across projects you need to ensure that the customers in that org apply to all projects using the org. Make sense?

It does, but I can't find any way to remove a customer from a project. There's no option to and I can't find any online documentation that actually solves this issue.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

if you have admin permissions then you should be able to...

1. Project
  2. Settings
  3. People
  4. choose Service Desk Customers
  5. remove the customer

People_-_JIRA.png

I looked here, too. And the customers that are in the project aren't listed in this view.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

ok so either they aren't part of the project OR they are in an organization. Let's check the later:

1. Project
  2. People
  3. look for an organization and select it
  4. look for the users you wish removed and remove them from the org. this places them back at the "customer" level
  5. repeat my previous instructions and see if they now show under the People section under "Settings"

I removed the organization that I keep playing with, now I have 153 customers in the customer view. Still no "Customers" show up in setting>people.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

I'm getting confused now. :-) Can you please share a screen shot from the same location as what I shared?

People_-_JIRA.png

I feel like this is some freak instance since nothing anyone has told me to do works, hah. But this is the people view. And it doesn't reflect any of the 153 customers that are listed in the customer view of the project.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

let's try two things:

1. try typing the name of a 'known to be customer' in the search field. if that doesn't produce a result then - weird
  2. try selecting Service Desk Customers in the drop down - if that results in no users then - weirder

If 1 & 2 strike out then let me ask a stupid question - are you 100% sure you are looking at the same project when looking at this screen and when looking at the Customers listed under the Project level? can you share an image of that screen that illustrates customers?

Neither one of those work, lol. Unfortunately. I know it sounds like I'm crazy, trust me. I've been stuck for 3 days. But this is the customer view. CIA_Ticketing_-_Customers_-_Service_Desk.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

so u aren't crazy for sure. i think i'm learning something new about this "people" stuff which BTW is, IMO, a very poor implementation or at least very confusing. I'm not 100% sure what is going on or how to explain it just yet but it appears as if customers don't show up in the people list if their open/closed are both 0. This might indicate the customer has never logged in and maybe they don't show on the People view until that happens. Looking at one of my projects I see the same thing you are seeing. While I see many customer in the People screen I do not see any that have 0/0 issues.

I'm going to ping other community champions in hopes they know what is going on here. I'm also going to read up on the latest documentation to see if there is a clue there. 

So hang tight...now that I'm stumped i'm having fun. ;-)

Haha, I like a good challenge, but I'm not quite savvy with all Jira aspects. So I will eagerly wait to see if you can find anything that will help solve my problem :)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2018

no answers yet but I wanted to add the results of a test I just performed in the event it helps others more quickly drive this question to closure.

Hypothesis: New customers added to a project do not result in that customer showing up under the Settings>People view.

• In Project A I have a customer that shows up in the Project A>Customers view but they do not show up in the Project A>Settings>People view.
  • I took this same customer and added them to a Test Project I have.
  • I was hoping/expecting that they would not show up in Test Project>Settings>People but in fact they did. However, they still do not show up under Project A>Settings>People

So now the question I'm trying to answer is - Why do some customers not show under the People view for some projects? This is required if one needs to remove the customer from the project.

New Hypothesis: The reason a user shows under Customer but not under People is that their "Role" is not set (somehow). Users under People (in my instance) all have one of: Administrators, Contract Developers, Developers, Service Desk Customer, Service Desk Team, Tempo Project Managers. This theory needs to be tested and proven/disproven just not sure how to do that just yet.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events