Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to alert Assignee when SLA is due soon?

Rashmi Belur January 10, 2018

Hello,

Is there a way to alert Assignee when SLA is due soon?

I am using service desk 3.4.0

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

Hey Rashmi, 

You cannot do that with the automation functionality that comes with JIRA service desk. 

This answer has some more discussions around potential work arounds. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Automation-SLA-Rule-to-Notify-Assignee/qaq-p/98507

4 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

I think you can do it with the Service Desk Automation. There is an event called SLA time remaining. You can make an automation rule which will send a email when the event fires. You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/automating-your-service-desk-732528900.html

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

You are absolutely correct that there is the ability to "Alert" a user using automation rules when the SLA is going to be breached soon. I don't disagree. The issue is that you cannot alert a dynamic user such as the "assignee" or "reporter" of an issue. To perform something like this would require the use of a plugin. 

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2018

Agreed. You can do it another way. Create a filter with the following JQL

"SLA field" < remaining("2m") and assignee = currentUser()

Then subscribe users for the filter. They will receive notifications with such issues.

Like # people like this
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

@Alexey Matveev,

That is one solution, but then you have to fire that filter off on a very regular basis (Like every 2 minutes).  This is heavy on the system and emails.  I know having implemented.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2018

I just passed 2 minutes. You can pass any time you want. Any action in Jira affects performance. To know for sure we need to do performance testing on automation and this solution. I did not do that. Moreover in Automation you can choose only 30min and 60min. I guess it means that there is also a load on the system. But we need to do performance testing to be sure.

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Hi,

Another option, if you have JIRA workflows plugin, is that it has a post function "send email".  We use that quite a bit.  Create a transition that all it does is that post function "send email".  Then use automation when breaching to invoke that transition which just sends email.  The Send email is very configurable.

We are currently using that to remind our approvers when it breaches time to approve.

Hope that helps...

Susan

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

You could even create a custom event to send on a particular transition and notify assignee on that event. So many options!

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

Yup....that's true!!  Simpler than the custom email and out of the box.

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

I will actually get excited thinking about all the different ways one could configure JIRA to accomplish the same task. It's just so interesting!

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2018

I get frustrated, because I'm employing so many weird and wacky workarounds to accomplish emails,notifications, resets on SLAs, etc.

I have some challenging service desks I'm supporting/implementing

Like dana m likes this
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 11, 2018

Same here. We even decided not to use queues. We use boards.

Like # people like this
0 votes
James M July 20, 2021

We only see 3 event types after choosing an SLA.  1) Event at 1 hour mark before SLA expires 2) 30 minutes before SLA Expires and 3) SLA Breached.  

How come we can't set the automation to WHEN look for SLA; IF component of ticket equals "TARGETED TICKET" AND  "SLA field" < remaining("2m") and assignee = currentUser(); THEN Some alert or email.  

I see a ticket for the development opened for the request since 2015.  Any chance to possibly revisit this: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-2003

0 votes
Yiraphic __ Peeters August 27, 2018

You might want to take a look at SLA Notifications for Servicedesk.

This extension enables you to specify different SLA's on global and project level and set timers for when users should get notifications in their Jira environments about SLA's that are breached or are about to be breached.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events