Importing tickets from external system - the Assignees and Reporters are concatenated

Lawrence Demers August 9, 2019

The names of the people for Assignee's and Reporters are concatenated and are causing an issue.  I thought that the space in between the names might be causing an issue.  I tried that.  No luck.  I was told to try our internal ID instead of our name - No luck.  I tried our email address - no luck.  

I get the following error message;

Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ The reporter specified is not a user. ]

I have tried numerous people as the reporter that show up in the list...NO LUCK

Any help would be accepted

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2019

Hi @Lawrence Demers ,

If you are prefilling the user name from external system import, please make sure you use the username for the user.

Get this directly from JIRA and do not use the normal full name as this will not work.

Cheers.

Lawrence Demers August 9, 2019

Thanks Ismael!  

Lawrence Demers August 12, 2019

The tickets that came in on my initial test did not bring in the original Ticket ID.  I don't know if I would need to have System Admin rights to view all the fields or execute this cleanly.  I am just working on a "play" right now with actual data.  As I mentioned - any and all assistance is appreciated.  The faster I can get out of the legacy system the more time I can devote to learning the Best Practices of  Jira Service Desk.

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2019

Hi @Lawrence Demers ,

I am assuming you are using a CSV to import the issues hence correct me if I am wrong.

Your error is that the username stated for assisnees and reporters do not match any existing users.

Hence may I ask if you have admin privileges on this JIRA instance? If not, can you ask who has the admin privilege and ask them to do the following:

1. Go to: Admin > User Management Page.
  2. Search for the users one at a time on this page using email(I do not recommend fullname because you could have multiple users with the same name. Emails tend to be more unique)
  3. For each email, copy to an excel the corresponding username.

Collect the list from the admin and do the following:

1. Edit your CSV or other import file, replacing the name associated with the reporter and assignee options with those from the list above.
  2. Save the file.
  3. Perform the import as you were doing.

Let me know if the issue recurs and if the data is not confidential, I can jump in a call with you however note that my timezone is GMT+2 so factor that in if you want us to go over it together.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events