Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get workflow to go down different paths depending on Priority?

Robert Werner November 25, 2017

Here is a new workflow I'm building:

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 5.03.11 PM.png

For now I have a "Set Priority" status where the user manually sets the priority.  Eventually I plan to automate this based on Impact level.

In either case, I want the workflow to go down one of the three "In Progress" paths depending on the Priority.  P1 would be for Highest, P2/3 would be for High, and P4 would be for the rest.

I've read a ton of articles but have yet to find a way to effect this desired functionality.  I'm beginning to think it's impossible in JIRA though it seems like really basic (and desired) functionality.

Can anyone provide some guidance?

Robert

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2017

It looks like a broken process to me.  Surely the process is the same, but you select the next one to work on based on a formula that takes resourcing and priority into account?

Robert Werner November 25, 2017

Hi Nic,

Actually the process underneath each of the 3 In Progress statuses is quite different.  Please see this related post: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Is-this-a-reasonable-workflow/qaq-p/678292/jump-to/first-unread-message

My manager wants every one of these steps built into the workflow.

My primary question is this: Can I direct JIRA to go down different paths based on the Priority?  If so, how do I do that?

Robert

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2017

The process is still wrong.  Think about how you handle it - does it really have a different flow?

Really basic example:  It's dark.  Try turning a light on, then check the bulb, then change it if it's blown.  Does that process change whether it's "meh, got home, going to bed in a sec" or "preparing for school in a dark hall" or "house full of people walking into things"?  No.  The process is the same.

You can persuade Jira to do this, but because it's NOT a "process", but instead a bodged way of enforcing an unrealistic and dumb way of working, it's not supported off the shelf.

You set up a workflow that covers all routes, and then use conditions to control what transitions are available depending on the selected priority.  But you will need code to provide those conditions.

Robert Werner November 26, 2017

Interesting insight, Nic.  Thank you.

I trust you took a look at the linked posting I added showing the larger process we're trying to achieve.  Given that the steps for handling P1, P2/P3, and P4 are different, how would you recommend I handle those in JIRA?

Where I'm confused is the mapping of the actual process we wish to achieve vs. the process we wish to implement in JIRA.  I thought they would be the same but respect the fact that you are insisting they are not.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events