Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a reasonable workflow?

Robert Werner November 24, 2017

Shown below is a workflow I have designed in consultation with my manager.  Having never created a workflow in JIRA before, I'm seeing some guidance.  Here are some specific questions:

1. Is this too complex a workflow for JIRA to handle?
  2. Towards the top, the first thing the agent (me or others) would have to do is set the priority.  Would this work as simply as changing the status to "Set Priority" and then a screen would appear to set the priority? 
  3. Assuming this is the case, where is it configured in JIRA to have the left "lane" for Priority 1, the middle lane for Priority 2, and the right lane for Priority 4?  I'm not sure how to configure JIRA to do this or if it's even possible.

Any insight anyone could provide would be deeply appreciated.

Robert

Sample Workflow.png

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2017

Hi Robert,

I would say that not a single workflow is too complex for Jira! That being said you'll need to understand a lot about Jira to handle complex cases.

Regarding your "priority" triage activity, that's pretty easy: setting priority might be done through a screen, displayed when transitioning from a status to another. When designing a workflow you have the ability to pick a screen, just build one with priority only.

Another trick is that, if you don't want to change the status but set the priority, you can have a transition to the current status (auto transition) which can be restricted to your agents. The good thing about that is that transitioning an issue triggers capturable events which can be used in Jira Service Desk automations or custom notifications.

Regarding your last question, Jira can only handle "statuses" and transitions between those states for an object. The required work around (such as KB management) cannot really be automatic and hardly "suggested" to agents.

If you're new to Jira (Hey, welcome oboard), I would advise you to read the workflow related documentation (starting here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/working-with-workflows-938847362.html) and to fly over some articles in blogs from Experts for instance. If you don't use Jira Service, that would be, in my opinion, a great addition to your instance when dealing with support requests!

A last option if you are not interested in learning or don't have time to do so, is to contact an Expert near your location for them to coach you on your solution design (eventually handle it for you).

Hope this helps!

Robert Werner November 29, 2017

Thanks for your most excellent feedback, Micky!

I am currently in the process of setting up Jira Service Desk for my employer.  I know the way I want it customized but am still trying to figure out what the limitations of JIRA are.

May I ask you, have you implemented Automation in JIRA?  If so, precisely which plug-in do you use?

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2017

Hi Robert,

Glad you appreciate my feedback!
Automation is already bundled with Service Desk as a module and you can automate many things thanks to it, including actions based on transitions, that was my suggestion :)

There are other ways to create automations in Jira, the most popular can arguably be Scripting (using Script Runner or Power Script). Scripting is more technical but will give you another dimension as you can access all layers of Jira directly, no more restrictions on implementation!

At first glance your needs should be pretty much achieved using the right combination of Jira Service Desk + its automations to keep it simple!

Cheers

Robert Werner November 29, 2017

One thing you just said confuses me:  To get Automation for our cloud version of Jira Service Desk, my manager had to install "Automation Lite for Jira".  Are you sure that a full-fledged version of Automation is available to me without this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events