Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create customer groups

David Malmstrom April 23, 2015

Maybe i've completely missed something but I really need to have this sorted and I seem not to be able to find the answer. 

I need to be able to group the service desk customers in various groups. i.e. per department within the company, per partners/clients/suppliers. I seem to read various articles where it is mentioned that it is possible to create groups for customers but all I see when I attempt is that groups are not available for customers.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated. I must say I thought this is highly important for our continous use of SD.

thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Nga Lai May 11, 2015

Hi David,

If you have a look at this  https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/Managing+customers

"they cannot be granted access to applications or added to groups."

In addition, the only option to add JSD customers to groups with the project role. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/download/attachments/660967473/image2014-10-27%2018%3A41%3A34.png?version=1&modificationDate=1415060650793&api=v2

Hope this help.

NgaLai [Atlassian]

David Malmstrom May 15, 2015

HI Nga, thanks for your response. however both links are broken. could you review and correct them, or what might have happened?

Nga Lai May 17, 2015

hi David, I have changed the links, hope it works now.

Deleted user May 5, 2021

@Nga LaiLinks broken again.

JD May 21, 2021

@David Malmstrom 

I was trying to achieve the same thing today. Link

In JSM, click on Clients. Upper right hand corner, add organisation. When you click, it's empty. When you start typing, you get to create the org. If you add someone, I believe it will send them an invite (even if they are aleady members of your clients).

Seems like an incomplete/missing feature to me.

Jean

Deleted user May 23, 2021

@JD 

Go to project settings, notifications and disable customer invited.

This will prevent the email being sent out when they are added to an org (which happens fairly often, especially in our case where we are transitioning our customers over to JSM).

We don't have any issues with the invite not being sent, either, as the customer will still receive JSM notifications via email, which will contain a link to View Request. From there, they will be prompted to create a log-in.

Building on what @Nga Lai  has said - In a nutshell, Customers and Users are different. Groups are only for users. Users count towards license caps. Users have access to JSM back end and the rest.
Customers do not count towards cap. Customers are those who are only creating a log-in to a public facing JSM portal, with the log in allowing them the ability to track tickets under a username. That's about it.

JD May 25, 2021

@[deleted], thanks!

1 vote
Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2015

Hi David,

It really depends on which User Directory you are using and what you want to accomplish with the groups.

By using the user pages (https//<YOUR CLOUD URL>/admin/users), you can create your groups and add the customers manually. Just make sure you don't put your customers in the jira-users group so they don't count towards your license limit.

In the Roles configuration pages of your JIRA project that you use for your Service Desk, you can include the groups of users that you want to be put in the customer role.

Kind regards,

Tom

0 votes
David Malmstrom April 24, 2015

Hi @Tom Moors [ACA IT] 

This sounds so easy but this is what makes me confused and frustrated. 

I created a new group, but when I want to add service desk customers to the group (Add user(s) to group) they do not show up and cannot be added. only JIRA users are in the list. Am I doing some thing wrong? I cannot see that I can make any settings on the groups I create either.

Thanks for your help!  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events