How do I use LDAP authentication for Service Desk 2 'Customers' without impacting JIRA user count

Mike Mills September 14, 2014

Our Service Desk customers are all internal.  I want to be able to use JIRA with LDAP authentication, copy users on first login, to autheticate and create the users as Service Desk Customers without impacting our JIRA user count.  Is this possible?.

4 answers

2 votes
IT Group September 16, 2014

Hey Mike,

we were facing the same question. Here's what we did:

1. Create a JIRA group, i.e. JIRA-customers
  2. Create a second LDAP-policy and set the newly created group "JIRA-customers" as default membership for that policy and that particular scope
  3. In the Service desk project, go to administration --> roles and map the JIRA-customers group to the "Service desk customers" role

We are still testing, but those users cannot log into JIRA, but the Customer Portal and create issues by email (with the JSD set to public). So, everything looks fine to us at the moment, although we are still testing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sascha

Aaran Stent October 7, 2014

I am having issues with step 2. When I create the second user directory I have no option to set a default membership for a scope.

Mehmet Korkut Köse December 3, 2015

Thanks for the solution Sascha! Cheers!

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 8, 2016
Deleted user November 13, 2018

Thank you. I've voted and commented my use case.

0 votes
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 14, 2015

I believe the KB below should be helpful on this case.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=677085280

Cheers

L.F

0 votes
Dan B February 11, 2015

Has anyone had success with this? Why do you need to create "JIRA-customers" as opposed to just using the already created "customers" group?

I am unable to get the "copy users on first login" to function, I tried different ways and it seems to put users in the jira-users by default but then the authentication does not function.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events