Customers can't access Service Desk Portals

Marçal_Martorell_i_Bou July 23, 2019

Scenario:

Service desk projects are configured to let anyone with an account in the Jira site to raise requests in the respective portal:

Annotation 2019-07-23 144648.png

- Customers can log in to the portal of portals (help center)

- Customers have been added to the customer section in the project

- All Jira users are in the customers

Problem: customers cannot see the service desk portals:

Annotation 2019-07-23 145947.png

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Marçal_Martorell_i_Bou July 24, 2019

Just found what is going on, I don't understand why.

The issue happens only to Jira administrators without jira service desk application access. (these users are in the customer list of the project.)

When a user without Jira administration rights and without jira service desk application access tries to access the portal is all fine.

Anyone knows about this issue? is that supposed to be like this? it doesn't make sense to us, Jira admins may not be service desk agents.

Thank you all for your time

1 vote
Answer accepted
Charan Nagaraja September 24, 2019
0 votes
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

Hi Marcal,

could you please have a look at the "Customers" section of your Service Desk project? Because of the selected customer permission, all existing user accounts in Jira should have been automatically added as customers to the project and therefore have access to the customer portal. Unless you have for example changed the permission scheme.

Best, Max

The customers have been automatically added to the customer section, but they cant access to the portal.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2019

And how is your permission scheme (Browse Projects permission) configured?

Annotation 2019-07-24 091126.png

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2019

Okay, this makes me think quite a bit. But you as an administrator can see the project in the help center? So only the users in Jira that have been added as customers are affected? So a user being a member of the Administrators role, Service Desk team or member of the group jira administrator is not affected?

Only those in the service desk team can see the portals,

- Service desk team role is assigned to a group that has attached the jira service desk aplication access named: jira service desk agent (to restrict the licence consumption only to the agent users)

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2019

This is odd and I'm not sure what we're missing. The setup itself is pretty straightforward for granting access to the customer portal - Log in, see the portal. And you set it up correctly.

One quick test: If you allow anyone to raise request will everyone be able to access it? Is the permission scheme shared with other projects and they're not displayed as well? I'm also very close to suggesting please remove the Service desk customer - portal access entry once from the permission and add it again. Not sure if we're running in some kind of glitch here.

Best, Max

Just found what is going on, I don't understand why.

The issue happens only to Jira administrators without jira service desk application access. (this users are in the customer list of the project.)

When a user without Jira administration rights and without jira service desk application access tries to access the portal is all fine.

Anyone knows about this issue? is that supposed to be like this? it doesn't make sense to us, Jira admins may not be service desk agents.

Thank you all for your time

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2019

Hi Marçal,

that sounds weird and I wasn't able to reproduce it on a 3.16 JSD test instance I have at hand. I'd definitely ask you to open a support ticket with Atlassian to further address this. Please keep us posted here! Maybe I'll try to reproduce it tonight on a JSD v.4.0.2 instance. A quick glance at the latest release notes did not bring up any bug fixes that sounded related to this.

Best, Max

Like Marçal_Martorell_i_Bou likes this
Charan Nagaraja October 7, 2019

@Marçal_Martorell_i_Bou  Even i am facing the exact same issue which jira admins cannot access portal even if they are in customer list. I logged an ticket and it is confirmed that its a bug and atlassian suggests two options which is not reliable options for us.

1. Provide jira admin user with Jira Service desk application access (which consumes the application license limitation)

2. Remove the Jira Admin permission from this user

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-5771 Here is the ticket for this issue. This bug exists since 3.8.1 version and surprising part I didn't face this issue until i upgrade my version to the latest 4.4.1. 

FYI I tried to access portal with non admin Jira users still i am unable to access which means user which are connect to Jira database cannot be access until and unless they have jira service desk application access. Only those who are not a jira users will be able to access the portal.

These needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

0 votes
Rutger Saelmans July 23, 2019

Did you assign the user to an organisation of that specific project? Or added the user to the project?

I am not using organizations in this instance, anyway all the users are set as customers (all jira users have been automatically added as customers)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events