Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom notification once ticket has been created through the Jira Service Desk portal

Kirill Skuibida February 20, 2018

Hi team,

I do need your advice.

Environment: Jira Software 7.7.1 + Jira Service Desk 3.10.1

1. I've created a custom event ABC and configured it for my Jira Service Desk project notification scheme
2. At the workflow designer, on the Create transition I've configured a post-function to Fire my Custom event ABC and send a notification email to the Jira group XYZ
3. Once I go to Jira and create an issue from inside the project using Create button > works perfectly. Users get notifications. Once I go to the Customer Portal and create the same issue type and using the same workflow > the email is not sent to the group XYZ. Only default Customer Notifications are working instead. Seems like they overwrite the post-function etc.

Magic!

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks a lot!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2018

Interesting problem, thanks for posting the steps you took to recreate this.   I have a couple of ideas about what might be happening.  Since creating an issue in Jira via the Create button causes this to work, but creating the issue via the customer portal does not is telling.

You will notice in Jira when you create issues in these two different methods, the issue created in Jira does not have a request type.  But the one in the customer portal does.

Request type is a field specific to Service Desk.  So it might be a factor in this, but I'm not certain how just yet.

Can you tell us more about the group of users you are trying to notify here?  Are these Jira Core users / JSD Agents / JSD customers?  Or some mix of users?

When you create these issues in different locations, are you using the same user account to do so?  Or are you using different logins to do this?

Service Desk can be a bit more complicated when it comes to notifications.  The reason for this is that you are permitted an unlimited number of customers, but these accounts are unlicensed in Jira.  Which means the customers can't login to the main Jira site, but they also don't get Jira Core notifications.  Instead they get specific JSD notifications.  JIRA Service Desk Notification explanation better explains this difference.

There was a recent bug in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-5535 that could prevent nested events from triggering on the same execution thread.  But this should have been fixed back in the 3.9.2 version which should still be the case in your version.  I would be interested to see if you can take a look at the $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file when this issue is created via the customer portal.  Perhaps there is some error in the log that is not appear in the UI that might help us better understand what is causing this behavior.

Kirill Skuibida February 22, 2018

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. Now I have my issue resolved.  

I was trying to notify a group of Jira users that consist of misc people: service desk agents and regular Jira users (i.e. jira-software-users). Let's say I need to notify User A, User B, User C. 

Basically, if User A submits a request via Jira interface - works perfectly. If User A submits a request via Customer Portal > he/she gets only Jira Service Desk confirmation, meanwhile User B, User C get proper notifications.

Hope that helps.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2018

Ah, ok, that does help.  When you create issues in the customer portal you are doing so in the role of JSD customer.   That explains this behavior to some degree.  I would recommend reviewing the JIRA Service Desk Notification explanation as to why this is happening.

Since Service Desk projects have this different notification method for customers, I think this might actually be working by the design of service desk.  The notifications that are sent to JSD customers are completely different from those sent by Jira Core.  And when you create an issue in the portal, it requires that this issue have it's request type set.  This is something else that helps ensure this issue is treated as a true Service Desk issue.

Whereas when you create an issue via the create menu either as a JSD Agent or a Jira Core/Software user, the request type field cannot be set.  This is more in line with what typically happens for Jira Core or Jira Software issues.  But I expect that Service Desk is checking that specific field for a value in order to determine which system sends notifications (Core or JSD).  

You stated that

Now I have my issue resolved.

Does this help explain why Jira and Service Desk are behaving in this way?

Regards,

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events