Configure more than one email channels in a project

Hello, We would like to know if we can configure more than one email channels for one service desk project.

This is because we would like to create three channels to attend issues in the same project.

Regards.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Brant Schroeder Community Champion Dec 15, 2017

You are only allowed to have a single email address (Channel) associated with a each service desk.  You can however have use email aliases to point to the service desk email allowing you to have multiple email addresses.  

For example you might have a service desk configured to use email@servicedesk.com and then point two aliases emailalias1@servicedesk.com and emailalias2@servicedesk.com to email@servicedesk.com.  This is what we do and is the only work around at this time.

Thanks for the response,

How can we create and then configure and match each email alias with an specific customer request type, and respond the customers with the appropriate email alias.

Is possible to do it?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Dec 15, 2017

When the email requests come in via the alias, the alias is attached as a request participant.  We then use automation rules to apply a component placing it in the proper queue.  All emails go out through the same address but when the user responds the JIRA email handler is able to match them into the proper service desk.

Dear Brant,

Thanks a lot.

I have solved my problem following your suggestions.

Regards :)

I have an adittional question, if I add a comment, the email go out through email@bookingmotor.com, then when the customer responses the email, Jira match that email with the created issue, is it right?

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Dec 18, 2017

Yes, JIRA will match it up once it is pulled from the other email address and processed.

Jack Brickey Community Champion Dec 18, 2017

as long as the issue key is in the subject it will match and add the comment from the body of the email. So as long as the subject isn't edited you should be good.

Is it possible to set the email go out through the alias?,  customers may understand that next time could open a new case emailing to the main adress.

Regards

Currently, I got realized that the only email that goes out is the main email.

Now I have another issue, I have set the alias and made the automation rules, the first day was OK, but now I see, that each time someone opens a case through the alias email, in the ticket there is no one on request participant, so it affect to the automation rule. is it any configuration do I have to check?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Dec 19, 2017

That does not sound like a JIRA issue.  It sounds like they are forwarding the email address and not configuring it as an alias.  I would work with the individual who configured the alias to see how it is sending.  

I talked to the person who made the alias and he told me the set is ok.

Then I made some tests and I have realized that everything is right if I create the ticket from my agent email (that email is registered as an agent administrator in ServiceDesk), the alias is put automatically as a request participant.

On the other hand, if I create a ticket through another email (my personal email in Hotmail for instance), the ticket is created but the alias is not added as a request participant.

Do you think it could be affected by a default rule on ServiceDesk?

Regards.

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Dec 21, 2017

In the administration portion of the Service Desk please navigate to customer permissions and let me know what "Who can customers share requests with?" is set to.  I think that is the issue.  It needs to be Any Customer..... or Any Customer or Organization....

Hi!! 

Sorry for not respond, these days I have been on vacations, I hope you spent a Merry Christmass and a Happy new year.

Well, I checked this out and that feature is set to "Other clients in your organization"

Regards

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Jan 04, 2018

If you set it to any of the other two options then it should work.

Yes!! I have changed the options, then it worked.

Thanks a lot, dude!!!

Hello !

We are just testing Jira and one important point is, that we have diffrent eMail-adresses (more than 10!) that need to be in defined queues.

Know I read this discussion and I will test it. But I can't find, where I must set the queue in the automation rules. Can you show me a example?

Best regards

Klaus

Brant Schroeder Community Champion Feb 01, 2018

We setup out aliases so that they come in with the regular email address and are added to the issue as a request participant.  We then use an automation that triggers on create.  When a request participant of the specific email alias is found we then either apply a request type or on service desks with lots of email addresses we use components and update the issue to have the proper component.  Our queues are written to filter on component so the issues go to the correct queue.

1 vote
Jack Brickey Community Champion Dec 15, 2017

With cloud you can actually have two emails. Atlassian provides one project@urcompany.atlassian.net and you can define one of your own, e.g. helpdesk@urcompany.com. While I have not done so you should be able to assign each email to a different request type.

Dear Jack

Thanks for the response, I forgot to mention that I am working with the software.

Regards

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 09, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

E.L. Fridge's take on education, Jira Service Desk, and creative Jira use cases

...word of mouth, so by 2016, we were working with several other entities on campus to implement Jira Service Desk . The Atlassian motto of “for every team” has really come true for us in this case. We...

971 views 2 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you