Automating the change of issue type

Guillermo Rosas January 23, 2018

Hi all, I would like to know how to automate the change of an issue type.

Regards.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

@Guillermo Rosas, we are going to need more info here. Please explain the use case. Under what conditions do you want to change the issue type. For example...

I want to automatically change the issue type from Bug to Improvement when Component is New Feature.

Hi @Jack Brickey

Thanks for your response, In that case, when there is an specific request participant.

To explain better I will give some features how do I use servicedesk:

Most of our customers creates a case through email channel, and there are 2 big types: 1. technical support for customers (support) as a default issue and 2. Selling information for potential customers (selling), each one follows a diferent workflow (so a different issue type).

Also I set a different email channel for each case: support@company.com for support (main) and information@company.com for selling (alias).

So, when a potential customer sends an email to information@company.com requesting information for our products, servicedesk creates the case keeping the alias (information@company.com) as a request participant.

To separate those selling cases and prevent them from mixing with technical support cases, I made an automation rule that changes the "customer request type" if the case have info@company.com as a request participant and it is separated in the respective queue, but the issue type is not changed, it keeps only in "support" then our sells staf has to change manually the issue type (but it is not practical because they have to change more than 100 cases each day)

So I would like to create an automation rule to change the issue type if there is "information@company.com" on request participant.

Regards

Like Billy Crandell likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2018

I'm still not quite sure I understand. Do you have a single project or two projects (support, selling)? If not why not is sure seems that they should be different projects. If a single project how do you have two emails feeding it? Maybe this is server and server allows that but didn't think so.

It is only one project, I set two emails and create a rule to separate each type, that is explained in this question: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/Configure-more-than-one-email-channels-in-a-project/qaq-p/690096#M9952

My doubt is if it is possible to create an automation rule to change the issue type if there are some conditions, f.e. an specific request participant.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

ah yes I recall that discussion. To be honest I think that method might lead to more issues down the road but that isn't based on anything more than a feeling so fell free to toss that comment aside. :-)

you can most certainly change the issue type based upon various conditions. it may require a plugin though.  Unsure if this is one of those situations or not.

Can you take a screenshot of your current automation so I can have a look and offer my thoughts?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

BTW....I really think you should consider two different projects. it would make things much cleaner. Mixing Support issues with Sales issues is unconventional. Again...just an opinion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2018

The desire to change an issue type is usually indicative of a broken process.  It should really be reserved for genuine "clicked the wrong one" or "I completely misunderstood the type names" cases, and hence something you would normally do manually.

Two projects is a good solution.

David Mason October 3, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- On Jira Server with Service Desk, we're ingesting emails into the service desk project.  They come in via the email channel and are assigned an issuetype - I don't see a way to have multiple choices there.  We have a certain type of email that arrives from an alert system - let's call it failed orders, that needs to be escalated to a scrum team (in their project).  We have a workflow that does all the right things (with the help of scriptrunner - create a linked issue in a new project and set the proper assignee), but we need to get that ingested email/issue over to the right issuetype to follow that workflow.  

Currently, our service desk agents are moving the issuetype manually, and it seems like this should be something we automate.  Any thoughts on how to improve this process if we can't do it in a relatively simple way with a post-function?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 3, 2018

Check the automation rules, they let you do some changes to issue type.

Bethany Amborn July 23, 2019

The automation rules, as far as I can tell, only allow changes to the Request Type, NOT the issue type. I have the exact same scenario as David above, where I need notifications from some alert systems to come in as incidents instead of service requests. I am not able to do this that I can see, and it's a manual issue. It needs to be automated because the SLA for incidents is so different.

David Mason July 28, 2019

@Bethany Amborn I started creating related tickets in other projects which, when complete, transition the linked issues in service desk. Now...to keep things from messing up, I created a unique set of “relates to” so there wouldn’t be an impact on other linked issues. 

I’ll take a peek back and see if there’s something new since we’ve upgraded to jira 8. But yeah, it’s still a problem. 

If not, and what I’m doing sounds useful, I’m happy to share the workflow with you. 

David Mason July 28, 2019

Oh, and we got it there by creating an escalate to each scrum/infrastructure team “Status” that creates the linked issue in their respective projects - forgot that part. That way we know what’s in the other teams’ courts without messing about in other projects and leaving ours. 

Brian Spears October 22, 2019

Re-iterating the issue here as I have it and cannot find a resolution.

I have a rule that when someone puts the word "critical" in the summary(subject line) of an email to our helpdesk, that it changes the priority to critical and assigns it so a particular queue. What I need is to be able to change the issue type from "Service Request" to "Incident". The option to do that doesn't even exist when you are creating the new rule under "Edit issue". 

Is this a major oversight by Jira or am I not doing something right?

Help please.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

@Brian Spears,

unsure why you have chosen to ask this here rather than a new post. That being said, as you have seen changing the issue type isn't in the native automation. You could consider an addon. For example I know that Automation for Jira provides the ability to edit the issue type. Footnote - this will only be reliable if the workflow is the same for both issue types. Example of a failure - say Incident requires a field that Service Request does not.

I answered here because it was never answered fully.

I realize that Jira Service Desk is completely an afterthought to Jira's main product, but there isn't any reason as to why Jira couldn't give this basic option without me having to addon something to improve the service desk product.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2019

Hi Brian and thanks for the response. To be clear here I don’t work for Atlassian. I’m a user like yourself so can’t answer as to Atlassian’s strategy. One thing I will point out is that Atlassian has just announced they were acquiring the developer of Automation for Jira. I can’t say if they intend to integrate this or not but will be interesting to see what the future holds. 

Edited my response and thanks for the info!

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 22, 2019

Hey @Brian Spears ,

not sure whether you are on Cloud or Server. if the latter is the case, you might want to have a look at this example implemented with Jira Workflow Toolbox - Triage Jira Service Desk email requests 

This can obviously be adapted to other conditional logics as well.

Cheers
Thorsten

Brian Spears October 23, 2019

We are in the cloud.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events