Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add participants or watchers in Jira Service Desk set up for email only

Bernard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 4, 2019

Hi Community,

I have Jira Service Desk (Cloud) set up to receive requests from our customer via Email.

The issue I have is that I can't add a participant or watcher to an existing issue in order for the users to also be notified of comments and progression of the issue. I have tried settings in both permissions schemes and customer permissions with no avail.

When I try to add a watcher, I get the following error message:

The user "xx@xx.com" does not have permission to view this issue. This user will not be added to the watch list.

I thought the user needed access to the browse the project and issue, but when I try to add the "Browse Projects" permission to project role "Service Desk Customers", I get the following message when seeing the issue.

"This service desk project has configuration problems and may not work as expected."

The other option I wanted to get working was the participants, but I don't get any icon, button or link to add a participant, all I get is a link to hide the participant list which always displays the requester and assignee only.

Can someone advise me how to set up my permissions and projects to get this working?

Thanks in advanced.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 7, 2019

Hi Bernard,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!
Watchers are restricted to internal users with a license, so in this field, you can add only licensed users that have access to a project. For example, you can add a user that works on Jira Software and also was added on the role "Developers" on the Service Desk project.

For participants, anyone that has access to the project can be added as participant and customers can add participants on the ticket through the portal as well. Can you send us a screenshot of a ticket for us to check how the field Participants show to you?

Regards,
Angélica

Bernard
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 10, 2019

Thanks for the reply @Angélica Luz . I realised there are 2 participant fields. 1 for Jira and another for Service Desk. Looks like I had the wrong field set up.

Can you confirm though that participants of a Service Desk issue get notified of workflow progression and issue comments?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2019

Hi Bernard, once you add a participant they will receive a notification informing that someone added them as a participant and then they will receive all future notification about the ticket.

Screenshot 2019-06-12_10-10-27.png

Just make sure that the Request type is filled for the reporter and participant to receive the notifications.

Like # people like this
George Ribeiro July 13, 2022

Question, we are using Service desk cloud as well, and have the same issue. For a ticket we have watcher-but user must be in service desk. I don't see a participant option in the system?

Like # people like this
Mark Ellis April 30, 2024

Late response here, @George Ribeiro but hopefully it helps someone in future search.
The Participant section is only visible in Portal View. Url would look something like this, `https://yourorg.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/ABC-12345`, with ABC-12345 being the request key and "yourorg" set to your Atlassian org's name.

George Ribeiro April 30, 2024

Thanks Mark.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events