Ability to reuse custom fields, views and create project templates

Ahmed Salem April 4, 2023

We have been increasingly using JPD, and we absolutely love how the tool is integrated with Jira software. However, the most frustrating feature that we find lacking is the ability to create project templates that allow us to reuse custom fields, custom workflows, and custom views.

The absence of this feature makes it very cumbersome to start a new project while ensuring that it adheres to the exact same views, lists, scoring formulas, and custom fields that we have already defined. Additionally, it is not possible to move ideas from one project to another.

We sincerely hope that this essential functionality will be given the highest priority, as it is currently preventing us from spreading the tool throughout our entire organization

4 comments

Comment

Erin Mihalik April 4, 2023

Why move things from one project to another? 

The whole idea behind this idea tool is that the work products are not the same as the idea.

The work products are what get spun off of the idea.

If you were using any sort of other product management tool like ProdPad or aha! You would only link the Jira work products to it.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2023

@Erin Mihalik We've seem different scenarios where multiple discovery projects make sense:

• Some teams have one project to do idea intake, another where they do the actual product work and roadmap
  • Other companies have many teams, working in different projects (different products, different areas of the same product), but sometimes an idea is in a project for the remit of another team

But now that I wrote this I think you're right and I misread the question

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 4, 2023

Sounds like I didn't. Cool 🙂

@Erin Mihalik  we have 3 use cases so far using JPD projects.

1. Already established product and we gather ideas about new features to consider. Make the impact assessment and select the ones with the highest scores. 
  2. Completely new product that we want to develop and we gather all the ideas.
  3. Gather new products ideas
Like Amanda Barber likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2023

Hi @Ahmed Salem we hear your feedback. We're aiming to support this in the future, there's work happening on Jira foundations to unblock us here.

That said, we find that a lot of teams benefit from having a separate playground for different projects, they're able to operate with more autonomy and move quickly.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 4, 2023

@Ahmed Salem like @Rohan Swami shared: both are on the roadmap.

The ability to move ideas between projects is coming soon (we're testing it in our staging environment at the moment), project templates will be later. 

Edit: just to make sure I understood the question: did you want to move ideas between discovery projects? Or from Jira Product Discovery projects to Jira Software projects?

Like # people like this

Between discovery projects

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2023

I'd also love to move ideas between JPD projects. We're rolling over to a new school year which is what our roadmap is based on. There are a few ideas that we didn't pick up and it's cumbersome to re-create the ideas in the new school year..while also ensuring all the fields are filled in correctly. 

I also had to recreate the entire board from scratch since templates aren't a thing yet. 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 18, 2023

@Amanda Barber you can move ideas and it preserves insights, comments, history, etc. However there's not yet the ability to copy over field values because JPD is built as a team-managed project (meaning: the fields are actually different between projects). 

The good news is that we're starting a new team, led by @Hermance NDounga , who will address things like this (project templates, better way to move ideas while copying field values over, etc. 

The bad news is they won't be done by the time you need it this time around...

Selvameenakshi Viswanathan September 14, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson@Hermance NDounga ..I am trying to move ideas between Discovery projects. Only the idea summary, description, Insights are copied.  Votes and comments are not carried over. 

Also, can you please let me know whether we have the ability to configure field mapping and copy field values from one project to another now?

Thanks,

Selvameenakshi

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
February 22, 2024

Hey Ahmed, 

I've just published an article regarding a new functionality: Global fields 

Have a look at the demo, and don't hesitate to sign up if you think it would be useful for your use case

Cheers, 

Hermance

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events