Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What workarounds for automations based on delivery tickets have people had luck with?

Melissa Davanzo April 4, 2024

There are a two automations I was looking to implement but due to limitations on automations for JPD I was not able to find a way to get them working. Wondering if anyone else has looked into automations like these and found a work around

• Automations based on Delivery Tickets
    • Transition Status of JPD Idea to “In Progress” and Roadmap to NOW when SOME of the delivery tickets (or their children) are in status category “in progress”
    • Transition Status of the JPD Idea to Done if all delivery tickets (Or all the children of the delivery tickets) are in status category “done”

3 answers

Suggest an answer

1 vote
Ivan Ferreira April 4, 2024

Hello @Melissa Davanzo . What problems are you having? it seems that the most difficult objective to achieve is bases on the children of the delivery tickets.

You should create two rules:

• One for transitioning the parent of the children issues to the right state based on the childrens statuses
  • One for transitionin the Idea based on the status of the delivery issues
    • This rule should be marked to be triggered by other automation rules

Can you explain a little more where are you getting blocked? 

I'm trying to avoid having to create automations across multiple different projects for the parent automation (projects where the delivery tickets would be) since I don't manage all of them. If I expand the scope of the automation to multiple projects I can no longer edit it myself and need an admin. 

I was working with someone to test some things, and the jira queries weren't seeming to work correctly, even when we named one of the other projects that had the delivery tickets, it wasn't finding the delivery tickets/issues correctly, and was only looking at the JPD project because we didn't branch. We were going off the link type "implements" since the delivery tickets were implementors of the JPD ticket.

When branching you don't have the Conditions "All Match Specified JQL" or "Some Match Specified JQL"

I was trying to get them to work initially based on https://support.atlassian.com/jira-product-discovery/docs/automate-actions-in-the-delivery-panel/ originally, and then started trying other things when that didn't work

Potentially because the scope of the automation was limited to the JPD project

0 votes
Dana Weinbaum April 7, 2024

Hi @Melissa Davanzo 

Check out https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Product-demo-Automation-for-Delivery/ba-p/2057152. by @Hermance NDounga , I think it answers your questions. 

Based on that page and demo I was able to create 2 automations:

When a delivery Epic moved to In Progress -> the Idea also moves to In progress

When all the delivery Epics are transitioned to Done -> the Idea also transitions to Done. 

Good luck :-) 

Dana

0 votes
Adrian_Lester April 5, 2024

Here's how I implemented the "Transition an Epic to Done when all linked issues are done" example from the web page you mentioned.   Note: The scope needs to be global.  You see I put the matching specified JQL logic before the branch.    In the final step you see I set two fields, neither of which are status, but the approach should work for you.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 143835.pngScreenshot 2024-04-05 143857.pngScreenshot 2024-04-05 143934.pngScreenshot 2024-04-05 143946.pngScreenshot 2024-04-05 144010.png

Melissa Davanzo April 5, 2024

Thanks, let me ask one of the admins if they can set the rule up for me and I can try it. Thanks for your help.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events