Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roadmap view and nesting features

Ken Young
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2022

Hi All,

As Product Discovery matures into a shipping product, it would be good to see roadmap view (like in Advanced Roadmaps/Project roadmap) and the true nested hierarchy features release (as are discussed in other questions on this thread).    We currently utilize another product (Aha) for some of these features, but would like to consolidate into the Atlassian ecosystem. 

Is there a "roadmap" for the beta of the product to be able to understand the features that are planned, and relative timeframes?   Also, are there plans for importing roadmaps from other projects, or at a reverse sync from Jira to populate a Product Discovery project?

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 28, 2022

Hi Ken, and thank you for your feedback! You pack a lot in a single message :) 

Roadmaps

Today you can create roadmaps using lists and boards, which is what most teams do. It applies quite well to roadmaps which are not time-based (e.g. Now/Next/Later). For the team that want to rely on time-based commitments in their roadmaps, we are working on a timeline view, which would look like this:

guide-media-712925ef-ac1a-4b52-9a73-127e733c81bb.png

What you'll notice though is that this view is also abstracting away from the details. Its goal is to help you share and collaborate on product roadmaps that explain the "why" (why are we focusing on this? which goal does it contribute too? etc.) and help give a general (loose) sense of timing. It is not meant to be used to create detailed delivery roadmaps which typically provide a breakdown of tasks - for this we recommend using the delivery roadmap features in Jira Software, or Advanced Roadmaps.

Nesting ideas / idea hierarchy

Jira Product Discovery has a different approach to products created by other vendors in this space when it comes to organizing ideas. Instead of a hierarchical model you can make use of the flexible views and fields structure to visualize your ideas based on a number of dimensions. 

Demo: using fields and views to organize a large list of ideas

You can use this to create a parent/child or opportunity/solution relationship, but it takes a bit of ninja skills today and we plan to make this easier to work with:

Demo: grouping solutions by opportunities. And here's a recording for how to reproduce this configuration

Importing ideas

We plan to make importing ideas easier, including from other Jira projects. Today you can import ideas in 2 ways:

• If moving from another tool: using Jira's CSV import
  • If moving from another Jira project: bulk move issues to the Jira Product Discovery project

Jira Product Discovery's roadmap

We're not currently sharing the full product roadmap (and we don't communicate timeframes), but you'll find updates in the community fairly regularly. The problem areas we're currently looking at: 

• More visual ways to prioritize ideas, in particular a matrix view and the ability to rank ideas differently in different views (to show relative priorities based on the target audience)
  • Supporting time-based roadmaps, with a timeline view
  • Supporting more ways to visualize the relationship between ideas (opportunity/solution, parent/child, etc.)

Following this, we currently plan to focus on a better way for product teams to collaborate with other teams, users and customers. 

Louis Aguila January 28, 2022

This is great information, thank you Tanguy!

Ken Young
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2022

Thank you Tanguy for the information.  Looking forward to working with the timeline view, as well as exploring the relationships capabilities that you described.

Erion Peci February 24, 2022

Hello @Tanguy Crusson 

When will this timeline view will be available ? This is a feature I have being looking for . 

Like Ken Young likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2022

@Erion Peci I don't know when it will be available yet, but we are going to start working on it in the next couple of weeks

Like # people like this
Helena Jeret-Mäe October 9, 2023

Any updates? The tree hierarchy is a deal breaker for me - if it's not there, I won't use it. Even if I have to maintain my trees on Miro (I live in Miro most of the time anyway). I am so over flat lists or nested lists. They are still lists and aren't useful.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 9, 2023

Hi @Helena Jeret-Mäe , not yet - the same solutions are still what we recommend today. 

Helena Jeret-Mäe October 12, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson does your data suggest that this solution is bringing value?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 12, 2023

@Helena Jeret-Mäe That's a great question! Actually: yes

• Usually that's a question that comes more from evaluators, in particular from teams who were another product that was modelling things like that, and trying to switch to Jira Product Discovery
  • After the evaluation and initial pilot, we see that teams change how they approach things like this. It's not flat lists! But custom views and fields to map the different altitudes of the roadmap.
  • We have teams with hundreds of users collaborating in the same Jira Product Discovery project, each with their own roadmap, and with ideas/opportunities/solutions at different levels

I'm actually doing a webinar where one of the topics is that one: https://www.atlassian.com/webinars/software/how-to-uplevel-your-product-discovery-practice-with-jira-product-discovery

Helena Jeret-Mäe October 12, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson OK, I'll check out the webinar. I'm going to try some parts of it but contextual structure I will keep in Miro for now.

I guess I'm having PTSD from years of flat backlogs. :D I also like to visualize a lot so it would be easier to understand what's going on. Over the years I've tried RICE and other ways of adding stuff to matrix but... it's not the same as the OST structure that really helps to see where the opportunities cluster and how they are distributed across a user flow (at least I follow this structure to retain coherence).

0 votes
Edwin Cho February 21, 2023

Any update on this nesting feature if it is still happening?

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events