Create
cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Product demo: Automation for Delivery πŸ€–

Hi everyone πŸ‘‹πŸ½

While Jira Product Discovery doesn't have specific automation templates yet, it is possible to automate some actions in the delivery panel πŸ€– Implementing these rules will reduce manual work between Ideas and Epics: 

Copy Description from Idea to Epic ✍🏼

Watch the demo video 

Detail of the rule:

Single project automation in a Software project

When: Issue linked > Link Type "Polaris issue link"

Condition: Issue field Condition > Issue type = Epic

Then: Edit issue > Field to set "Description" > ... Copy from "Destination Issue"

Transition an Idea to Done when the Epic is Done πŸš€

When 1 Idea is linked to 1 Epic 

Watch the demo video 

Detail of the rule: 

Global automation from the Software project

When: Issue transitionned > To Status > Done

Branch rule / related issues: Linked issues > Implements

Then: Transition issue > Destination status = Done

When 1 Idea is linked to 2 or more Epics

🟑 When an Idea is linked to 2 or more Epics, you need to link the epics together with the link type "Relates to"

Detail of the rule: 

When: Issue transitionned > To Status > Done

Condition: Issue matches JQL: issuelinktype != empty AND issuetype = Epic 
AND Linked issue match > Type: relates to > Match: StatusCategory = "Done"

Branch rule / related issues: Linked issues > Is idea for

Transition an Epic to Done when all linked issues are done βœ…

View the rule in our public library 

Detail of the rule: 

Single project automation in a software project

When: Issue transitionned > To Status > Done

Branch rule / related issues: Epic (Parent)

Conditions: Issue field condtions > Status does not equal Done

AND: Related Issue conditions > Related issues : "Stories or other issues in this epic", Condition : All match specified JQL, Matching JQL: Status = "Done"

Sync issues between dates in Jira Software and dates in Jira Product Discovery

See this discussion

Best practices regarding formatting

As some Jira Product Discovery fields aren't fully supported by Automation for Jira at the moment, here are known heads up on formatting for some fields: 

Edit/populate a Jira Product Discovery date field

{
    "fields": {
        "customfield_0000":"{\"start\":\"{{now.jiraDate}}\",\"end\":\"{{now.jiradate}}\"}"
}
}

Edit/populate a Jira Product Discovery checkbox field

{ 
"fields": {
"customfield_0000":1 }
}

Add watchers to ideas from People fields?

Details in this post. They will receive notifications whenever the idea changes.

Thank you for this solution @Aaron Mosny πŸ‘

Questions, comments, suggestions? Let's discuss in the comments below! 

Cheers, 

Hermance

29 comments

Comment

Matt Schroyer June 17, 2022

Does #1 work for any issue type like is we use higher level initiatives? UPDATE: nvm it does

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 17, 2022

Hi Matt, 

Yes, it actually work with any Issue type you'd have in that Software project, just like from Jira Product Discovery, you can create any issue type from the delivery tab of an idea. So this rule is indeed to be adapted to the Jira Software issue type you'd like to create from a Jira Product Discovery Idea

Nikki DuBois August 18, 2022

@Hermance NDounga is there plans of implementing automation especially to gain customer feedback that then automates that data to review?

Like β€’ Ben Arundel likes this
Mike Gargano November 1, 2022

Hey @Hermance NDounga , 

The video links don't seem to be working for me. Are we able to get some updated links? 

I am very interested in automating task between ideas and other jira projects, but keep running into snags with selecting the proper fields. 

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 29, 2022

@Mike Gargano the links have been fixed, sorry for the inconvenience ! 

Like β€’ Mike Gargano likes this
Ronald de Groot November 29, 2022

@Hermance NDounga thanks for the video. I followed all the steps but I get an error 'The following issues did not match the condition:'

See attached. I have no idea what is going wrong. Can you help me with this?

Schermafbeelding 2022-11-29 om 11.58.57.png

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
November 29, 2022

Hey @Ronald de Groot , sure! Could you please open a ticket, using the "Give feedback" tab on the left panel of Jira Product Discovery, so we can start discussing via email ? 

Don't hesitate to include more details about the projects you're setting up and more screenshots of the rule :) 

Ronald de Groot November 29, 2022

@Hermance NDounga I have send in the feedback, I was not able to send some screenshots. Attached the screenshots 

Schermafbeelding 2022-11-29 om 14.14.23.pngSchermafbeelding 2022-11-29 om 14.14.31.pngSchermafbeelding 2022-11-29 om 14.14.37.png

Louise Baker February 15, 2023

I am trying to set up automation for 1 or more epics linked. This is the condition listed above to apply:

That is pretty intense. Where are all the steps to complete this? How does one build this out? Can we have a video walk through of this?

Like β€’ # people like this
CC March 8, 2023

I had an issue with #1.  I submitted a bug ticket.  I found that when I Added an existing JSW issue to an idea, the description was deleted on the JSW side.

CC March 8, 2023

@Hermance NDounga I had an issue with #1.  I submitted a bug ticket.  I found that when I Added an existing JSW issue to an idea, the description was deleted on the JSW side.

Jamey Hawkins April 19, 2023

I'm attempting to use the advanced fields option with date population.  How can we find out the custom field id for PD specific fields? I tried to use the Custom Field name and it bombs.  Thanks.

Ok found the customer field id, but I am now receiving the following error:
Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON.

I used the example above for date fields and it continues to throw the error.  Any insight?
advancedfield.jpg

Summary: I am trying to get a date when an idea is transitioned to a certain status and then eventually push it over with the epic in delivery.

Thanks!

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2023

@Jamey Hawkins , Hi ! 

Based on your screen shot it seems you wrote everything correct... Could you please open a support ticket support.atlassian.com so they can check what might be the issue? 

Can you please let me know why you are looking to have the date of an idea updated written on an epic? Just for me to understand what's the use of the data afterwards, so I can think about an alternative? 

Abby Kiesling May 9, 2023

@Hermance NDounga How can I determine the custom field ID for discovery fields?  They don't show in global settings under custom fields and even exporting all ideas with all fields doesn't show it.  I also tried editing the fields and seeing if I could derive the ID in the URL, but that doesn't work either.  

Michelle Yip May 17, 2023

Hi @Hermance NDounga ! 
Thank you for sharing this.

Will the team at Atlassian consider to add more automation templates to the JPD library?

discovery automation.PNG

Like β€’ Jason Pecoraro likes this
Timo Fitzner May 25, 2023

@Abby Kiesling I still donΒ΄t know how exactly but I found a workaround. If you create a normal custom field for testing (e.g 10000) or you know by any chance the last custom field you created remember the ID. 

Now create a custom field in PD; since itΒ΄s the newest, it has the ID 10001. Now you can use it. 

But itΒ΄s not practical if you want to have the IDs from other custom fields. I hope someone can explain to us, how to obtain the ID from PD fields. 

Abby Kiesling May 25, 2023

Hi @Timo Fitzner , someone else helped me with a link that gave me ALL my custom fields, PD included.  It's great.  Here's the format:

https://YOUR-COMPANY-URL.atlassian.net/rest/api/2/issue/ISSUE-KEY?expand=names

Replace YOUR-COMPANY-URL and ISSUE-KEY of some ticket in the pd project.  Then copy/paste the output into a JSON tool to make it pretty or convert it to CSV.  Viola!

Like β€’ # people like this
Timo Fitzner May 26, 2023

@Abby Kiesling Nice! Thanks a lot!

Like β€’ Abby Kiesling likes this
Kyren Cabellon June 2, 2023

Thank you for this! At first I did not understand the last automation but it made sense when I read it again haha

Omar Bennani July 10, 2023

Hi! Any suggestions on how to update custom fields between JPD and the rest of an instance just like the description? I have the exact same automation setup for a custom multiselect (Brand) field that I tried to make as 1:1 as possible but it doesn't copy anything. 

jira automation screenshot.png

Like β€’ CC likes this
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2023

Hi Omar, 

The Description field is a *shared* field , so it's the same between Jira Product Discovery and other Jira products. For custom fields - unfortunately I'm not an advanced user of Automation for Jira - you might need to open the "More options" JSON editor

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/advanced-field-editing-using-json/

Nathan Belen-Carmody August 17, 2023

Similar to @Jamey Hawkins comment on April 23, 2023. I am also receiving an error with the following JSON. 

advancedfield.jpg
Error while parsing additional fields. Not valid JSON.

@Hermance NDounga do you know if a ticket was created for this issue?

Context: I created an automation rule to record today's date whenever a specific custom field is updated.

Thank you!

Dana Weinbaum September 3, 2023

Hi Hermance,

Perhaps you can help with how I can create an automation that will update a custom field "Bubble up" with a date in the future (3 months from today) when an Idea is transition to a certain status?

I can't find the custom field in the list of fields. 

(This is taken from the great video of 'How one team in Atlassian uses Jira Product Discovery - part 1 (ideation & triage)'

Thanks

Dana

Sebastian Pechhold October 18, 2023

When 1 Idea is linked to 2 or more Epics

🟑 When an Idea is linked to 2 or more Epics, you need to link the epics together with the link type "Relates to"

Detail of the rule: 

When: Issue transitionned > To Status > Done

Branch rule / related issues: Linked issues > Is idea for

Then: Transition issue > Destination status = Done

I dont understand it i guess..  Can you please explain the condition settings in detail? I am stuck at conditions for multiple delivery issues. When i try to copy paste your conditions it leads to errors. I am not an expert in JQL yet.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 12.30.58.png

PLEASE HELP :)

Mirko Grahnert November 22, 2023

@Hermance NDounga on the first automation (Copy Description from Idea to Epic ✍🏼):

What condition would I have to set up so that the automation only triggers if the idea is in a specific status? 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events