Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing Jira Product Discovery pricing

121 comments

Comment

bartosz_gosiewski
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2022

Limit on contributors can be solved with Automation:
I have 2 automations set on my Jira instance. One is listening for an incoming call to active webhook and creates an Idea issue in the JPD project.
Second one is a Mail Hanlder that listens to a separate mailbox and creates a new OR comments on existing Idea in a JPD project...
"Necessity is the mother of invention". 

Bart.

Like Elaine Cawthorne likes this
Scott Sacks-wilson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 22, 2022

Hi, reading through the comments, it seems like there are a lot of requests for a form to collect ideas/ idea input integration - hope that's on the roadmap!

As a workaround, we are currently trialling a Jira Service Desk form, feeding into Product Discovery, although it's not ideal since it duplicates tickets, confuses users etc.

Do you have any recommendations how we can do this most effectively just now?

Like # people like this
Pierre Merlin November 22, 2022

Great to see this pricing, thanks ! 

That's definitely an interesting product, and there would be 2 things that would make it even greater and that would definitely convince us : 
- the "standalone" insight management : as said above in this comments thread, there should be the possibility to contributors to add standalone insights, that could then be tagged, grouped, prioritized, linked to clients or product areas, etc, and then only transformed into ideas/initiatives to be launched in discovery and then in delivery through jira software integration. 
- the possibility to publish roadmaps to the public - either through confluence or in a standalone url accessible from the web - or even better with integrations in products like Notion.

Pierre Merlin November 22, 2022

Hi @Scott Sacks-wilson ,
What I did to go around this limitation is setting up an integration with Slack.
Users in the channel "product_insights" have access to a form that they can fill up, and when PMs get these insights they can transform it into Ideas. It also automatically answers to the insight with the link to the idea so that people who gave the insight can watch this idea and be updated when it progresses. 

KB November 22, 2022

Following on some of the comments. Hacking the license model with some proxy tools etc. would not be an option for us. The charme of JPD is the browser addin that makes it super easy for line of business users to stay in their context and add ideas and insights. Contribution requires adding ideas and adding insights through the plugins - not managing them, though.

Like Matt Bell likes this
Dave Nicholson November 22, 2022

FYI, I tested automation in a service desk project and it's possible to create a new issue in your discovery project via automation. This could be used to allow others to contribute to the list of ideas, while using a creator account as the actor.

Like bartosz_gosiewski likes this
Sarah Payne November 22, 2022

Hi there,

I want to echo that we absolutely need everyone in our organization to be able to create ideas. The whole reason I am using this type of Product Discovery tools is so that I can foster a product culture of "good ideas come from anywhere". Happy to only allow a select # of users to prioritize, put into roadmaps, etc. but it's a dealbreaker if we can't allow everyone to contribute new ideas. That is the whole point of using a tool like this :)

Sarah 

Like # people like this
Melissa Lyons November 22, 2022

How can I tell which of my current users who can already access the Jira product are contributors or creators?  

habib rahman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2022

Great news @John McKiernan. If we are on the enterprise plan already, do we need to stay paid for this product, or does this comes as a suite package on the enterprise plan? Thank you 

Federico Dipuma
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2022

Hey @John McKiernan , those news are exciting, while differentiating those two kind of users for the pricing model seems reasonable, we really need a way for contributors to add new ideas. The whole discovery process is driven by ideas from multiple sources, and going through one of the creators for them will quickly become a bottleneck. I understand that the "product team" is the one who needs to manage the discovery process, but new ideas come from outside of that team. Please consider adding a way for contributors to truly "contribute" before GA.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
theodore_andohkow
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 23, 2022

JPD needs a feedback portal where anyone can submit ideas.

If you're not going to do that, 'contributors' should at least be able to do that.

Otherwise JPD becomes less valuable/useable to us.

Like # people like this
rgomolko November 23, 2022

It is unfortunate that sellers can't submit ideas for free when they work in the field. This is a major blocker. We will look into ProductBoard as an alternative, as it has much fore fair pricing.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2022

Hi everyone, Tanguy here from the product team. Just to reiterate @John McKiernan 's answer from earlier: yes, we've heard you and we agree with you! We want contributors to be able to send feedback that creators can then turn into ideas. This is going to happen in multiple steps, some of them are pretty clear and others we're still working through. Expect an update from us that provides more clarity in the coming weeks. 

Like # people like this
Erin Mihalik November 23, 2022

Interesting points in the comments. They have been pretty clear in past posts that Idea creation should be held to only product team members (or similar) and that general Idea submission pre-vetting should be done in JSM. 

JPD was designed for Ideas that have already been accepted into products workflow and not pre the initial vetting. 

The pricing model they released does actually support that. It's those that ignored those recommendations that are now vocal about having the whole company be creators. 

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
KB November 23, 2022

@Erin Mihalik Not sure about these recommendation. For me I would disagree, as it is much about the usability and making it easy for line of business users to add ideas. The plugin in the browser is the key to that. Having a separate form, pasting the customer etc. is not an option for fast paced teams.

Deleted user November 23, 2022

@John McKiernan Thanks for all the updates and thank you to the team for such an amazing tool. Our team is currently in the process of transitioning to Jira Product Discovery. We are very happy with it and it seems to do more than we even needed.

One thing though, is there any chance you can give some more guidance on the confluence topic? I can't seem to find any documentation on it but I do see your post saying "Confluence (create a JPD issue from Confluence and see ideas and view on a Confluence page)"

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 24, 2022

@[deleted] I've just recorded a 5 minute demo for the different ways you can use Confluence and Jira Product Discovery together, and added it to the FAQ

3 ways to use Jira Product Discovery and Confluence together 

Like # people like this
Kyle Mitchell November 24, 2022

For those concerned about users not being able to contribute ideas/insights as "Contributor" I thought I'd share our process. 

We explicitly decided to only have Product, Product Marketing and Eng Leads to create ideas directly in our "Idea Backlog" in Jira Product Discovery.  We feared it would just become an out of control dumping ground otherwise.  We want the Idea Backlog to be a representation of our active OST so need to control what comes in.  Instead we want those "ideas", "insights", "questions" , "customer feedback" from Sales, Customers, etc. to go somewhere else first so Product can properly triage it.  In our case we have two places, a separate Jira Software project we use for our support tickets OR a public facing Service Now form which integrates with that project.  It could be anything that is available to everyone that has some basic integration to Jira Product Discovery.

We have a weekly ceremony on Product team to triage everything and can easily create a new idea from it, tag as an insight or ignore if not relevant/duplicate.  

That may not work for everyone but just my thoughts.  I do agree though that the role name of "Contributor" is over-selling it.  In other products I've seen the word "Stakeholder" used instead for that "viewer" style level of functionality.

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 25, 2022

@Kyle Mitchell Thanks for this - for what it's worth it's exactly the type of process we recommend teams adopt with today's version of Jira Product Discovery. Letting people create ideas in your project leads to projects that quickly get out of hand. We recommend having a separate process for the intake and the triaging of feedback. 

From the FAQ (and for taking feedback from internal teams the solution we use in the Jira Product Discovery team is the Slack one, for feedback from users that comes from the in-app popup it's the Jira Service Management one): 

How can we use Jira Product Discovery to collect feedback from customers/users and other teams (support, sales, customer success, marketing)?

In this first version of Jira Product Discovery, we’ve focused on some the jobs that help a PM do their job: prioritizing ideas and opportunities, creating and sharing roadmaps that stay up to date, and capturing feedback from a bunch of different places (interview notes in Confluence/Google Docs, conversations in Slack/Teams). But for now we assume the PMs have existing channels they use to receive feedback, and we help them send this feedback to ideas in Jira Product Discovery.

We have only partially tackled the job of creating a direct feedback channel between customers/users or other internal teams (sales/support/customer success/marketing) with the product team. We have plans to do more there, but for now these are the options that you can use to do that with the product today:

1. Set up a Jira Service Management queue to receive feedback from customers and internal teams

2. Set up a dedicated Slack channel #product-feedback to receive feedback from internal teams (also works with Teams)

3. Share views with other teams and gather their feedback using fields and votes to receive feedback from internal teams

KB November 28, 2022

Thanks for the clarification @Tanguy Crusson

Next to all the PM's features in JPD, the key think I found compelling was exactly the capabilities for sales teams etc. to add an insight themselves with the customer automatically attached (in our case through the browser addin in SalesForce). It is perfect for that bc we can count the votes based on insights (usually 1 per customer). We have the # of items under control, so there is no issue in empowered line of business to add items.

With the 3 proposed ways this advantage vanishes. There would be no automatic linking - which causes a lot of manual effort afterwards. Users would have to leave their actual environment, which is a blocker for fast paced sales and SDR teams.

So for us the value lies within that process, not within adding additional filters/queues before JPD.

I trust this in good hands with you and look forward to JPD's further development.

Like JC Nachor likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
November 29, 2022

@KB I thought we mentioned this already a couple of times, but just in case: adding insights is part of the contributor role 👍

Like KB likes this
Frank Rolandus
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 30, 2022

Hi @John McKiernan

Any plans to include this great product in the Enterprise edition, similar to Advanced Roadmaps?

Frank

John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
November 30, 2022

Hey @Frank Rolandus

Glad you are enjoying it! No JPD will remain a standalone tool rather than become a part of an edition (though of course always connected to the rest of the Atlassian suite). We have big plans for the product so want to give it as much room to grow as possible. 

Adam Chapman December 13, 2022

By far the biggest issue with Product Discovery at the moment is not being able to move tickets between Discovery boards, please fix this..

Like Michelle Couch likes this
Erin Mihalik December 13, 2022

@Adam Chapman while it is not as smooth as accessing the issue and then moving it, you can move tickets through Advanced Issue Search > Bulk Update.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events