Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACTION REQUIRED: how to move from Beta to the Free or Standard plans of Jira Product Discovery (JPD)

102 comments

Comment

Ashley Patel August 11, 2023

@Rohan Swami now it's showing 11 Users.  I'm not sure how to fix this.  Is this because we have 11 admins? Please help! I also tried removing people from groups and now they can't add ideas, so I need help with that as well. Is it possible to schedule a call to go through this together?

Like Michael Langlois likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2023

@Ashley Patel as you said, the site admins may be consuming a license, this is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product.

To fix this, remove access to Jira Product Discovery from the site-admins user group. You can then give product access to the people (product managers) you want to try the product instead.

This video shows you how to do it.

It could also be because you have trusted users. Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also use a license for all products on site. The only workaround in this case is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admins, after removing product access from the site-admins group.

The users who you want to give creator access should be added to the jira product discovery users group.

Please follow these steps, and if you still have trouble then create a support ticket.

Ashley Patel August 11, 2023

@Rohan Swami how long does it take for the changes to update?  I followed those steps and still the the wrong count of users.  There should only be 2 now, but I still show 11. 

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2023

@Ashley Patel it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to sync. Please ensure: The contributors group has not been given product access, the site-admin group has been removed from product access and users don't have the Trusted User role. If this isn't working, please create a support ticket. 

Josh Collins August 14, 2023

We've enjoyed exploring and experimenting with this product. I'm curious if anyone (apologies, I haven't read through the thread yet) has evaluated this against Productboard yet.

Evan Placke August 15, 2023

Hello, I am about to cut over to the standard version from beta and just wanted to confirm that in doing so and starting the 14 day trial, we will not lose any of our existing data we've set up in the beta version to date? I'm assuming no, but just wanted to verify before finalizing. 

Like John McKiernan likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2023

Hey @Evan Placke 

Yep, can confirm that you won't lose any data. You are essentially just upgrading your plan from beta to free or standard. Hope that helps. 

Like Evan Placke likes this
John McKiernan
Atlassian Team
August 15, 2023

Hey @Josh Collins ,

There are a few conversations happening on the community around switching from ProductBoard. This page is a good jumping off point: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/JPD-vs-Product-Board/qaq-p/2381705

Sufian Siddiqi August 15, 2023

Hi @Tanguy CrussonI saw a notice that the beta was extended when I logged into our instance of JPD. Is that message corresponding to the note about data retention until 11/17 stated above? 

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2023

Hi @Sufian Siddiqi , if your beta is extended your data will also be retained for 3 months past the end of your extension. In the interests of transparency for everyone in the Community we’ve updated this post with the details of extensions we have offered to customers.

J Conners August 16, 2023

Are site admins or org admins counted as licensed creators in Jira Product Discovery?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 16, 2023

@J Conners they don't count as creators unless they have access. You can remove their access:

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > User Management > Directory.

2. On the left sidebar, select Groups > site-admins group, and then for Jira Product Discovery, select NoneThis change sometimes takes a few minutes to be applied across the system.

Mia Appleby August 17, 2023

Hello @Tanguy Crusson thank you for instructions. 
If I plan having 3 contributors (they already have JIRA access) and everyone in org to be viewers with create ideas and vote option- what would be the cost for the Users that don't use JIRA at all and would only use it for JIRA Product Discovery? 
Thanks

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 17, 2023

Hi @Mia Appleby , that's what a contributor is (you either need to have a Jira license, or if you don't, then you need to be added to a special user group)

Details here: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/The-different-types-of-users-Creators-Contributors-and/ba-p/2378354

Carlos Chacon August 29, 2023

I have screen shared with someone who is our Atlassian admin for the whole product and we followed every step to the tee. NOTHING HAS WORKED! I have opened two support tickets about this and yet no solution. The Loom video shared is NOT the admin page that we see we cannot remove the site-admins from JPD. We have two days until we lose access and this run around has been so unbelievably frustrating and its getting to the point of asking ourselves if the overcomplicated nature of Jira, Confluence, and JPD is even worth the money. Here is what we need: 

• Move from Beta to free 
  • We already set up the two users to be the creators 
  • We followed all the steps and yet still see "5" users of JPD  
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 29, 2023

@Carlos Chacon I sent you an email, should hopefully be an easy fix 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
August 30, 2023

Thanks for your time today @Carlos Chacon ! 

If someone else is facing this issue, where the number of billed users is higher than what it should be, here are 2 things: 

1. Check out this video that explains how to check who is getting billed for Jira Product Discovery and common reasons why that number is higher than you expect (and how to fix that). 

2. Be aware that it can take a while before the number of users from the User Management section is synchronized with the billing system. So, if you go to "Product access" in admin.atlassian.com, and it tells you there are 10 users for Jira Product Discovery, but if you go to manage billing it tells you you have 20, that's usually the culprit. Come back a bit later and it should be fine. 
Like Bill Sheboy likes this
Davina Pallone October 3, 2023

Hi... I'm trying to remove site-admin group members' access to JOD but the toggle is greyed out. What am I missing? This is blocking me from moving off the Beta plan.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2023

Hi @Davina Pallone it could be greyed out if that is the only group which has product access. Though we checked your site and this may not be the case for you. Could you please create a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com/ and we'll look into it.

Like Davina Pallone likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2023

@Davina Pallone @Rohan Swami I think you should be able to do it from the group instead. Open the group, and see if there's an option to remove product access for Jira Product Discovery from there.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
October 4, 2023

FYI @Davina Pallone's issue was that they were unable to move to Free because they had Trusted Users pushing them over the user limit of 3 for the Free edition. For those watching along, we have a guide here on removing access for site admins and Trusted Users: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Read-this-if-you-re-a-site-administrator-and-just-added-Jira/ba-p/2385379

Maya Arad November 7, 2023

Hi, 

im a Jira admin on Jira cloud and would like to use the Free program of Discovery, but all the Jira administrators has Discovery access by default and increase the number of creators more than the program allow. how can i remove the administrators role from Discovery?

Maya 

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
November 7, 2023

@Maya Arad 

1. On the upper right of the navigation bar, select ⚙️ > User Management > Directory.

2. On the left sidebar, select Groups > site-admins group, and then for Jira Product Discovery, select NoneThis change sometimes takes a few minutes to be applied across the system.

Note: Trusted users (a deprecated user experience) will also consume a license for all products on the site. In this case, the only workaround is to change the user's role to either Basic or Site-admin after removing product access from the site-admins group.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 11, 2023

Thanks for sharing all the details, @Tanguy Crusson ! Very good article!

Christian Humer November 25, 2023

Hello 
We are partner. How we can get an want to extend to standard. Would be a chance for partners to switch for free?

Christian 
Bytesource Technologies

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events