Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACTION REQUIRED: how to move from Beta to the Free or Standard plans of Jira Product Discovery (JPD)

102 comments

Comment

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2023

Hi @Erik Lau you may be a site admin but not have billing admin permissions. 2 options:

1. Ask another site admin who has billing admin permissions to change the subscription from Beta to Free/Standard.

2. Ask them to make you a billing admin so you can do this yourself.

If this doesn't work please create a support ticket and we'll help you out.

Erik Lau July 7, 2023

Thanks @Rohan Swami confirming I'm already part of the billing admin group.  What is my next step?  Thanks!

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 10, 2023

@Erik Lau I've checked our records and you don't have billing admin permissions. Your site admin will need to change the subscription or make you a billing admin. To make you a billing admin they need to go to: Site Administration > Billing > Manage Jira Product Discovery > Billing admins > Add a billing admin.

Erik Lau July 10, 2023

Thanks @Rohan Swami 

Upon further investigation our billing admin is no longer with our org so the account has been disabled.  In this case how do we set up new billing admins if the only billing admin's account is not active?

Thanks, Erik

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

@Erik Lau you'll need to contact Atlassian support. There should be a link to do so from the page where you tried to change the edition

Like Erik Lau likes this
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 10, 2023

@Erik Lau I've emailed you a support ticket that we've opened for you to help you resolve this.

Valentin Cardozo July 12, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson!
I'm performing the action of moving to the free plan, but I am having a problem with the roles and the number of Creators.
Currently, I have only 3 creators designated and there is a default role called "All creators on the site".

This way, 4 creators are being counted, but only 3 are allowed to do so.

Here is a screenshot to better express the problem!

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 13.45.36.png

I look forward to your answer!
Regards

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 12, 2023

Hi @Valentin Cardozo , the first row does not count as a license - it's just informational, to tell you that all creators on the site (so, in your case, probably 3, if that's the number of people you gave a license to) can act as contributor by default (I'm guessing that's because you made the project limited or private)

to see how many users consume a license, you need to go to admin.atlassian.com, and go to the billing section. 

Like Valentin Cardozo likes this
Valentin Cardozo July 12, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson Fixed!
It was with a problem in user groups with administrator access to the tool.
Thanks for your help!

Like Rohan Swami likes this
Rodney E July 14, 2023

Hi,

Sorry if I missed the answer but I'm unable to remove a site-admin user after setting the product role to 'None'. The product access page shows 3 users but the JPD group shows 2. Any help is appreciated!

JPD_Product_Role.png

JPD_User_Groups.png

Tin Sing Koh July 14, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson , 

Our JIRA admin started the migration from Beta version to Free plan (we just need 3 Creators) but encountered many issues. The system prompted us to delete all the current users except 3 users which does not make sense as we only have 3 Creators and the rest of the users are Contributors. 

The support desk we contacted has put us on Standard plan with 14 days trial and now we are not able to downgrade to Free plan :-(

Purchasing and Licensing Request: General inquires (atlassian.com)

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2023

@Rodney E you'll need to remove the site admin group from Jira Product Discovery.

From another Community post https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Read-this-if-you-re-a-site-administrator-and-just-added-Jira/ba-p/2385379

Site admins will count as billable users by default, here's how to change that

If you just added Jira Product Discovery to your site, you'll notice that all site administrators have been given product access to the product - and consume a license. This is because whenever a site administrator adds a new Atlassian product to a site, the site-admins user group is automatically given access to this product. 

To fix this, remove access to Jira Product Discovery from the site-admins user group. You can then give product access to the people (product managers) you want to try the product instead.

This video shows you how to do it.

@Tin Sing Koh You do indeed need to remove all users from product access other than the 3 creators. For everyone else who you want to be a contributor, add them to the contributors user group as per the instructions in this Community Post. If a user has product access to Jira Software or Jira Service Management or Jira Work Management they are automatically contributors so you don't need to add them to the contributors user group.
While you're on the trial for Standard you can remove users until you have < 3 and then you can downgrade to the Free plan without being charged. You can email me you support ticket at rswami@atlassian.com and I can follow along to make sure it's being resolved.

Rodney E July 14, 2023

Hi @Rohan Swami , thanks for the video. I watched it but I don't have those options since we use Okta as an IDP. Here's what I see. Do you know why there is 3 users listed with JPD product access when there's only 2 in the JPD default group? Directory_page.png

Diala Al-Khawaldeh July 16, 2023

We upgraded fro Beta to free trial of standard and then downgraded to free. To be able to do that we had to remove users that are not creators This resulted in removing them from all products on the site. it wasn't clear or easy how to manage this whole thing

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2023

@Rodney E using an IDP/Okta shouldn't prevent you from following these steps. You'll still have a Product Access configuration page when you can check who the 3rd user is.

In your earlier screenshot click on the grey 3 licensed users link next to Jira Product Discovery on the product access configuration page. It’s probably either a Trusted user, or someone that is part of a group that grants access to JPD (not the default user group). If it's a trusted user, change the user's role from Trusted to Basic or Site administrator. If the user is in another group, remove that group from product access for JPD.

Julieanne Mortimer July 20, 2023

Thank you for responding to questions in this format
I have followed the steps and everything looks great, and we are below the 3 users. Am I to assume the messages that pop up saying "You need to upgrade before August 17th" are happening to everyone and are not an indication the setup is incorrect and I am not as prepared as I thought?

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 21, 2023

@Julieanne Mortimer I just checked and it looks like you're still on the beta edition and still need to complete steps 7 and 8

Jenni Chen July 26, 2023

How can i remove the access from the 'Trusted' user group as they are also considered as the licenced user but could not be found under the GROUP shown as below. 

Licenced users.png

Like Erik Lau likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
July 26, 2023

@Jenni Chen Unfortunately you can't. For trusted users you'll either need to downgrade them to basic users, or make them site admins...

Like Jenni Chen likes this
Tom Haapanen July 31, 2023

Hi @Rohan Swami 

You said "If a user has product access to Jira Software or Jira Service Management or Jira Work Management they are automatically creators so you don't need to add them to the contributors user group."  Does that mean that they don't need a licence, or that we are forced to buy licences for all of them? (We have 200 Jira users and 50 JSM users.)

Also, the pricing page only shows monthly licence costs. We need to do POs for purchasing, so is annual pricing also available?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 4, 2023

@Tom Haapanen there was a typo there it should read "If a user has product access to Jira Software or Jira Service Management or Jira Work Management they are automatically contributors so you don't need to add them to the contributors user group." Apologies, I've edited my earlier comment.

Please create a support ticket to address annual pricing.

Dan_Tombs August 9, 2023

Hey @Tanguy Crusson

So I am trying to switch to the free plan while we continue to understand the scope for some internal teams. The users in plan shows as 4 but you can see when I search for the role it is only two.

How can I get around this?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 9, 2023

@Dan_Tombs there can be a bit of lag for the numbers to update. I've checked our records and they should be in sync now. Can you please confirm?

Ashley Patel August 10, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson I had 20 users tied to my Product Discovery Board.  I reduced it to 3 yesterday afternoon, but when I go to add myself to the free plan it's not allowing me to.  It still shows I have 20 users and only offers me the Standard plan.  Please help! 

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
August 11, 2023

@Ashley Patel could you please check again? In the last few days our systems had some lag in updating these user counts but it should be resolved now.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events