can an administrator on jira server log in as another user ?

Mritunjaya Sharma August 12, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Managing users

can an administrator on jira server log in as another user ?  I don't see this option on the server documentation, but is available on the cloud documentation.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2016

"Switch User" script in the script runner. 

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2016

No you can't do this on server version of JIRA - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-2134

But if you have script runner plugin installed then it's possible as it has a built in script for doing the same.

Narasimha murthy April 26, 2019

is that available in cloud?

0 votes
Shahinur Akter
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 20, 2021

Hi i needs to login (mylatentech@gmail.com)because i needs to do some home work .

please help me to login.

0 votes
Jan Koprowski June 11, 2019

Hi @Mritunjaya Shar

as you mentioned the cloud version of Jira has the possiblity to impersonate a user (see https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloud/log-in-as-another-user-776994835.html).

For server version you could use "Fast User Switcher (FUS) for Confluence". It also tracks usage statistics to comply with GDRP.

Regards,
Jan

john
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 11, 2019

Hi Jan,

I dont see that option "Log in as user" in the user profile in our cloud Jira. Atlassian suggested us to use "user switcher for Jira" add on which is free.

Is that the version difference which making us not having that option?

Regards

Jan Koprowski June 12, 2019

If you have Jira Cloud none of these plugins work. But it is already possible in Jira Cloud to switch user, as suggested by me. Follow the instructions in the link to make it work. If this does not work you don't probably have the permissions.

See also on top of the linked page:
"If their account is a managed account, only an organization admin can make updates to their profile."

If you have Jira Server, the difference between the "User Switchet for Jira" and Fast User Switcher (FUS) for Confluence is,

• that the latter has Support and
  • is GDPR ready. That means it is logged which user switches to another, when it was done and to which user he switched.

If you have any further questions don't hesitate.

Regards,
Jan

Suggest an answer