Upgrading from Jira 3.4.1 to Jira Agile 6.4.11

We are currently using a very old version of JIRA (3.4.1) for many years and would like to upgrade to a version that our holding company use 6.4.11 and would especially like to start managing your projects in an Agile way.

Firstly, it is possible to do so without loosing any historic information, especially attachments?

Secondly, if so, what is the exact procedure to do it?

1 answer

You would need to perform several upgrades moving from JIRA 3.x to JIRA 4.x to JIRA 5.x and then JIRA 6.x. In theory you should be able to go from JIRA 4 to JIRA 6 but it is not recommended.

This will take some time. You success will depend on the level of customization you have in JIRA 3, so you would need to look at things like add-ons you are using if any and make sure they have an upgrade path too.

I can't give you the exact procedure but if you go to the archives on the documentation site you'll find the old upgrade instructions for each version. You need to read these and the release notes carefully.

If you can you should try to perform the upgrade on a test instance first. Don't forget you will also need to upgrade your database and Java version.

From experience, I would strongly recommend

• 3.4 -> 3.6 (there's massive changes in 3.6 and going past it in one hit caused me no end of problems every time it was tried)
  • 3.6 -> 3.13  (If you have problems here, then make more steps - go through 3.8 and 3.10)
  • 3.13 -> 4.4 (again, if you have issues, drop to 4.0 then 4.4)
  • 4.4 -> 5.2 - this is actually the one step that can usually be skipped, 4.4 -> 6.4 often works.
  • 5.2 -> 6.4

Yeah, about one upgrade per major version of JIRA. The trick is knowing which ones are necessary

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published 23m ago in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

6 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you