Oops 500 Sorry, we had some technical problems during your last operation.

Ornaldo July 24, 2018

Hello dears,

Recently we are having issues with our Jira Server. The app is responding very slow, CPU is being consumed by atlassian service ( around 90% -99%). Also the app crashed or it is very slow. The last error we had was during the opening of a ticket: error 500. I have installed monitoring JavaMelody to monitor threads or memory. Please any idea ? 

Technical details

Log's referral number: c48659f7-970e-465b-a2d5-c5d3ce905490

Cause

Referer URL: http://XXXXXXXXX/secure/admin/ViewMemoryInfo!garbageCollection.jspa

com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT attribute_name, attribute_value FROM cwd_user_attributes WHERE user_id=? AND directory_id=? (Protocol violation)

com.atlassian.cache.CacheException: com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT attribute_name, attribute_value FROM cwd_user_attributes WHERE user_id=? AND directory_id=? (Protocol violation)

at com.atlassian.cache.memory.DelegatingCache$DelegatingLoadingCache.get(DelegatingCache.java:270)

at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.OfBizUserDao.findByNameWithAttributes(OfBizUserDao.java:179)

at com.atlassian.crowd.directory.AbstractInternalDirectory.authenticate(AbstractInternalDirectory.java:200)

at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.directory.DirectoryManagerGeneric.authenticateUser(DirectoryManagerGeneric.java:291)

at com.atlassian.crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric.authenticateUser(ApplicationServiceGeneric.java:141)

XXXXX >is our IP and port

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2018

@OrnaldoYou should consider increasing your Jira application memory  see article https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-fix-out-of-memory-errors-by-increasing-available-memory-154071.html

best!

Ornaldo July 24, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your replay. The version is JIRA v6.3.5. The problem was during the creation/browse of a ticket. We have tried to increase the memory.  Please find below. I do not know if we increased in the right setting. Also in the log when the issue occurred i found: 

2018-07-24 14:45:31,005 http-bio-8081-exec-12 ERROR USER000055 885x10016x6 1qu9xtx XXXXXXX /browse/TJ-22775 [jira.web.component.ModuleWebComponentImpl] An exception occured while rendering the web panel: com.atlassian.jira.jira-view-issue-plugin:attachmentmodule (null)
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, issueid, MIMETYPE, FILENAME, CREATED, FILESIZE, AUTHOR, zip, thumbnailable FROM fileattachment WHERE issueid=? ORDER BY FILENAME ASC, CREATED DESC (Protocol violation)Screenshot_1.jpg

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2018

which jira version is this?

can you execute the sql directly against the db? The db might be very slow.

SELECT attribute_name, attribute_value FROM cwd_user_attributes WHERE user_id=? AND directory_id=?

When did the issue start? after installing a plugin or a particular change? or was it gradual?

A new plugin might be responsible for this or you have managed to corrupt your database (crowd directory:). The atlassian support team should be able to help you in the latter case.

--This exception is probably a follow-up exception i.e not the cause of your slow instance. It is caused by a blocked thread waiting for the cache to be filled.

-Parse the logs for java.lang.NullPointerException

-Parse the logs for OOM exceptions. Increase memory if applicable

-Restart the instance after disabling plugins

-Run a full reindex (not the background reindex)

- Contact atlassian support

Ornaldo July 24, 2018

Hello,

Thank you for your replay. The version is JIRA v6.3.5. The problem was during the creation/browse of a ticket. We have tried to increase the memory.  Please find below. I do not know if we increased in the right setting. Also in the log when the issue occurred i found: 

2018-07-24 14:45:31,005 http-bio-8081-exec-12 ERROR "USER" 885x10016x6 1qu9xtx XXXXXXXX /browse/TJ-22775 [jira.web.component.ModuleWebComponentImpl] An exception occured while rendering the web panel: com.atlassian.jira.jira-view-issue-plugin:attachmentmodule (null)
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT ID, issueid, MIMETYPE, FILENAME, CREATED, FILESIZE, AUTHOR, zip, thumbnailable FROM fileattachment WHERE issueid=? ORDER BY FILENAME ASC, CREATED DESC (Protocol violation) Screenshot_1.jpg

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2018

v6.3.5 is too old to exclude multiple known jira bugs. You need to upgrade to a supported release first.

Which database do you have? oracle by any chance? which version of oracle driver are you using- check the supported platform page for v 6.3.5? was the driver updated recently? you might have encountered a known oracle bug- (protocol violation)-https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/unable-to-start-jira-due-to-protocol-violation-640352705.html.

Check the memory settings from the front end> systeminfo>memory to make sure that your new memory settings have taken effect.

Ornaldo July 24, 2018

hmmm i know about the version. Regarding the db: yes, we use oracle db

The oracle driver if i'm not mistaken can be found in: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\JIRA\lib ?

We have ojdbc6-11.2.0.2.0.jar. I have checked from the front end> systeminfo>memory and the memory is like below: Screenshot_JVM.jpg

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2018

Memory usage looks good.

Did you try the resolution suggested in the link ?

Ornaldo July 24, 2018

I will update the odbc driver and i will check. Thnx. I need only to replace the .jar file with the new one or i need olso to change some config in dbconfig ?

Ornaldo July 26, 2018

Hello, till now we have just increase the JVM. No problems :) 

0 votes
Ornaldo July 26, 2018

Hello, till now we have just increase the JVM. No problems :) 

Harry Love May 18, 2023

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS .

Suggest an answer