Move JIRA to another server - why is a complete reinstall needed?

Ebiz Team January 27, 2017

If JIRA is a tomcat/Java application, I don't understand why a complete reinstall, backup, and import would be needed when moving the application from one server to another server.  

Why is is not possible to just copy all the files and clone the database? (of course, updating the database configuration and licenses on the new server)  

Is JIRA designed to break if moved?  This is not typical behavior for a JavaEE application.

thanks,

Kevin

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 27, 2017

Nope, it's not designed to break.  But it often does because people miss things when they do a simple clone. 

IF the operating system setup is the same on all the points that matter, you use the same directory structure, and you use the same database (or change the settings file to point to a new one), then yes, actually, you can just copy the whole lot.  Although I'd tend to recommend skipping the index copy and rebuilding a new one.

0 votes
Michele January 30, 2017

Hi Nic,

could you provide a documentation in which I can find a list of important directories/fiels to copy during migration to another server?

Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2017

Not really, but it is simple:

1. The JIRA installation directory
  2. The JIRA Home directory
  3. Anything involved in automatic starts of the system (/etc/init.d/jira for example)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events