Lock a task to a date

Marcus Strandepil November 23, 2018

I am new to Jira but I have tried to find a way to set dates to a task that never, ever will change. Lets say I have a project activitiy for a number of resources that takes place on a set date. How can I tell Jira this so it doesn't move it?

Thank you! / Marcus

5 answers

0 votes
Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2018

Ok, I added the tag Portfolio for Jira (that's an Atlassian add-on).

I don't remember exactly the steps and can't reproduce it right now, but it can be done. Look at the documentacion, it tells to use Release and set it manually as static assignments.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver024/scheduling-behavior-934716219.html

0 votes

Thank you, Christian,

Please excuse me if I was unclear. The Due date field is not changed, but Jira/Portfolio is scheduling the task after the due date. 

I will try to use a custom field and see if I can get that to work. Any tips or tricks on how I should set this up? Getting the field in I can do. How do I get Jira to use it for scheduling, is another matter. 

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2018

Jira will never change your due date field dinamically by default, I guess that you have some add-on which is changing that value

Use a Date Type custom field and then the date chosen will be static.

0 votes

Thank you for your comment. Even if I use the Due date field, Jira can still move the task. If resources are available earlier, it will be scheduled earlier. Also, if resources are not available, Jira will scheduled when they are available, even if after the Due date. So I desperately need to find a way. How do I get a custom field to affect the scheduling?

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2018

The only way to set dates in a Jira issue is based on the usage of Date fields. If due date is not good enough (as it requires schedule issues permission to edit it) use a custom field:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/adding-a-custom-field-938847222.html

Suggest an answer