Jira 7 Setup All User Directories are read only

I just performed a clean install of JIRA Software 7 but im stuck in first access setup with the following error:

Setup admin account: Cannot create user, all the user directories are read-only

Help!

7 answers

I solved it the same way as Tuncay although I think this is not supported (yet). My install is windows 2012 r2, postgresql 9.6 and JIRA 7.2.3x64. (Also see EDIT below)

It's the same root issue I suspect as https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CONF-44216

I downloaded the latest JDBC driver from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html (in my case the JDBC42 driver), copied the jar into the lib folder, stopped JIRA, renamed the Atlassian prostgresql jar file to *.bak (not sure if that was necessary?), copied in the JDBC42 driver, started JIRA and it all worked from then, no more error.

I a bit of a noob at these products but it worked, so it seems to be issues with the db drivers used by JIRA and their compatibility with the DB in question. Try updating the relevant drivers.

EDIT: Adding that 1) it IS necessary to remove the old jar jdbc file and that 2) this issue does also occur on Linux and has the same solution. I had the issue with CentOS 7, PSQL 9.6 and JIRA 7.2.4.

Update postgres jdbc driver works for me too.

Thx Philipe, works for me too

Yep, updating the driver fixed the issue for me, thanks!

Works for me, too!

In addiction to the steps mentioned above, i've had to rename the latest jdbc jar to the default Atlassian postgres jdbc name (in my case, from "postgresql-9.4.1212.jar" to "postgresql-9.1-903.jdbc4-atlassian-hosted.jar")

MacOSX 10.11.6, psql 9.6.1, JIRA 7.3.0

Thanks!

Worked on MacOS too! I didn't need to rename the new jdbc.

I've also had to rename the latest jdbc jar to the default Atlassian postgres jdbc name from "postgresql-9.4.1212.jar" to "postgresql-9.1-903.jdbc4-atlassian-hosted".

PostgreSQL 9.6.2, JIRA 7.3.5

0 votes
Pedro Souza Atlassian Team Nov 30, 2015

Hi Leonardo,

Can you please confirm us your database type, and if the user used to connect with the database has the DROP permission? From previous cases, I've seen this same error when the database user was missing this permission

Since you are working in a clean instance, I would suggest you to create a new database for your JIRA instance then give all the database permissions, including the DROP, and try to setup JIRA again with this new database.

Cheers,

Pedro Souza.

I am also having this exact same issue "Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only."

Why would the db user need drop permissions?

Same issue here, user is GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES.

Same issue here!!! JIRA 7.1.5 (I just instal last version)

I TRY : 

SET GLOBAL storage_engine = 'InnoDB';
CREATE DATABASE jira CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_bin;

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON jira.* TO 'jira'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'jira@@jira';

or

GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP,ALTER,INDEX on jira.* TO 'jira'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'jira@@jira';

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
QUIT

==========> ERROR :  (Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only.)
At page /secure/SetupAdminAccount.jspa

Note : i using root account

==========
Please help me! 

Hi, 

I install v7.1.4 (not error)!

Hi, i'm facing the same problem with brand new download and license from Atlassian.

JIRA 7.1.5 on Windows Server 2008 , MSSQL 2008. The user has DBOwner permission.

Error: Cannot add user, all the user directories are read-only. When creating admin user.

This is emergency if anyone can help I really appreciated! 

Same issue. Trying to connect to Azure SQL Database (PaaS). Any help is appreciated.

Hi,

I got the same problem with PostgreSql.

I updated postgre jdbc driver to the latest one (9.4) and restarted JIRA

Problem fixed

My solution may be limited in scope, but I had to revert to using PostgreSQL version 3 as version 4, when creating a new database, constantly throws the "user directories are read-only." I'm no tech wizard but my problem lied in the tool used to create the database.

Update postgres jdbc driver works for me too.

I have solved this issue by removing 'databaseconfig.xml' file from Jira's Home directory and restarting JIRA and setup again.

Atlassian says that they are db-agnostic guys. 
Also, they say that Postgres is their favorite DB.
Also, they say that Jira is pure-java app and doesn't care of kind of Linux running on.
Also, one of the most conservative distros - Debian 8 - is already ships with PostgreSQL 9.6 onboard.
As for me - Atlassian just must officially support PG 9.6 for their products.
Now!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

239 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot