JIRA - who can create a 'Version'

Julio Valdez April 28, 2016

Hi,

Are proejct leads the only ones who can create a version in a project?  If not, how do you set a project so others can create versions?

Thanks in advance. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2016

People who have "project administration" rights, as granted by the permission scheme.

I'd guess you have "project lead" as one rule in there, but there may be others.  A lot of us use "role: project adminstrators" and then we can add whomever we want into the role.

Julio Valdez April 28, 2016

I currently have a user in the project admin role but they don't have permission to add a version. Where w/in the permission scheme can I add them?

Like Patrick Bindels likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2016

You should avoid putting people or groups into permissions.  It is better to put them in a role (as you already have) and then name that role in the permission scheme.  You need to edit the permission scheme and add "Administrate projects - role: project admin".  Only JIRA/System admins can edit permission schemes.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2016

Nic - using roles is not always the best.  That might work for some teams where different users play different roles in different projects, but for an organization like mine, where one team accesses many projects and performs the same functions in each, using roles makes pretty much no sense.  With groups I make one change and its effective for all of our projects.  With roles I would need to go to every project and have to add every user to every role.  And no, default roles wouldn't work either, since we have different teams with other sets of projects.  More importantly, this would make reporting across projects much more difficult.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2016

This puts the administrators in the position that they have to edit vast swathes of permission schemes every time a change is made.  It's a pain in small organisations and unmanagable in large ones.  I will quote one place I worked where we had 12 Atlassian admins for JIRA when I started.  I migrated one business unit from using groups to roles and was able to reduce the team to 8 (the other business unit retained 5 admins who did nothing but groups).

Your approach can work in some places.  For most people, roles are far better.

1 vote
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2016

You need to grant Project Admin rights to users to do so, but there is a significant downside to this as that grants a LOT of permissions to that users.

Suggest an answer