JIRA STARTUP FAILED -Cannot change ComponentManager status from NOT_STARTED to PLUGINSYSTEM_STARTED

Devinder Bath May 30, 2016

I have recently installed JIRA trial version. when i try to start JIRA in my browser i am getting the following message

JIRA startup failed -  JIRA STARTUP FAILED -Cannot change ComponentManager status from NOT_STARTED to PLUGINSYSTEM_STARTED

Can someone help

2 answers

5 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2016

Did you tried to restart the server? If this did not help take a look at this KB:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Troubleshooting+JIRA+Startup+Failed+Error

It might help you troubleshoot your problem.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2016

Agreed with Mirek!  Give the server another bounce and see if that resolves the issue.

crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2016

During the startup, JIRA goes through several phases:

• NOT_STARTED
  • CONTAINER_INITIALISED
  • PLUGINSYSTEM_STARTED
  • COMPONENTS_REGISTERED
  • STARTED

The code that keep track of what state JIRA has reached very strictly enforces that it can only either move forward one or reset all the way to NOT_STARTED.  The error message indicates that somehow it tried to completely skip the CONTAINER_INITIALISED step.

That's very, very weird, as initializing the plugin system requires the Pico container to have been created, and that's what CONTAINER_INITIALISED means.  I have never seen this happen and I don't see any obvious way for the code to do that.  Restarting seems worth a try.  Otherwise, I would go digging through atlassian-jira.log to see if there is an exception trace in there that might explain this.

2 votes
Akshay June 4, 2017

Try restarting the service with name  "Atlassian JIRA", it will take about a minute to restart and then try accessing your JIRA URL.

This worked for me! 

Phu January 9, 2018

Thank you. It also works for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events