How do I force a transition based on a custom field drop down selection?

Robert Anthony April 4, 2016

Hi All,

I have a simple forked (or nested) workflow with the ways to go. On the transition screen leading to this fork, I have a drop down menu. What I want is that if one option is selected, the corresponding transition will be automatically active. If not (the other 4 options), the second transition is active. Does this make sense? Open to any plugins too if it's not doable out of the box.

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

You can force a transition based on a custom field content using a post function. Depending on the plugins you already have installed this may require the purchase of an additional plugin to provide the ability to check a customfield content and then update the destination based on that content.

An alternative to the enforced transition is to build a custom validator which checks the chosen custom field value and confirms that the destination status is approved.

ScriptRunner4JIRA is one possible solution which also opens up several other conditions/ validators and post functions to you.

Thanks Phill!

I'm a little confused though about forcing a transition based on custom field content. I absolutely understand post functions, just not sure how to do that. I have update on transition, create on transition, and the workflow toolkit, I just don't know how to do this specific thing. Could you please elaborate?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

It'd be easier if you told us what workflow add-ons you have, like Script Runner, JIRA Suite Utilities or Misc Workflow Extensions. 

Classic JIRA doesn't have the ability to do this natively. 

@Steven Behnke I have update on transition, create on transition, suite utilities, and misc workflow extensions. Thanks!

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2016

Oh wow, you said as much in the previous comment. smile Woops!

Just to be clear (this affects my answer),

You want to perform this "condition" check on a field set on the issue.
OR
You want to perform this "condition" check on a field set on the transition screen during a transition.

Robert Anthony April 5, 2016

Hi Steven

I'd prefer to do the latter, if the secondary transition could happen automatically based on the user selecting a specific item in the drop down list on the transition screen, that would be great. ,

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events