Can you make Remaining effort equal Original effort before task starts?

ross_marrins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 19, 2020

Hi. I have an issue whereby all tasks on a project yet to be started have the 'Remaining' effort field noted as 'Not Specified'.

For all tasks with no effort logged yet, I would like 'Remaining' to show the same value as 'Estimated'.

Is this possible?

jira1.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2020

Hi @ross_marrins ,

welcome to the community.

The usual behavior is, that if you set the Original Estimate, the Remaining Estimate will be set to the same value.

Maybe you have set the remaining Estimate explicitly to 0?

ross_marrins
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 19, 2020

Thanks! Yes, we did import all of the issues from a spreadsheet, so perhaps we accidentally set the remaining estimate to be 0 at that point? 

Now trying to find out if there is a way to update on bulk (i.e. set all issues with no work logged to have remaining estimate to equal original?), or if we have to manually update each ticket?

Any thoughts? Thanks again for reply

Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2020

I don't think that you can update all at once, but if you have similar estimates, all issues with the same estimate can be updated at once with bulk edit.

I don't know any other way to do this.

Suggest an answer