Can you Add multiple Custom Fields from CSV?

Clayton Chancey May 3, 2016

I'm new to Jira,, and am building the architecture for a new interface requiring many hundreds of custom fields.

I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid the process of clicking "Add Custom Field" and manually clicking through the configuration of each field... perhaps a CSV sheet with each configuration item separated out, and imported through some kind of plugin? The same question would also apply to the creation/configuration of User Groups, Screen, Workflow Transitions, and even modifying Script Post-Functions in individual Workflow Transitions.

I'm desperately looking for any way to avoid plodding through hours of click-clicking, when I already have the logic and architecture determined. Help?!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2016

Hey Clayton!

You can accomplish what you're trying to do using a Jelly script:

Jelly Tags - Create Custom Field

That said, I'd highly suggest that you try and reuse as many fields as you can to keep the number of custom fields to a minimum.  Having a large number of custom fields is a very common culprit for lots of performance issues, especially as things start to scale.

Good luck!

0 votes
Clayton Chancey May 6, 2016

Thanks, Cody!

That does definitely make it much easier. And I see your point... I'm working with a pre-existing workflow to expand the current functionality. Definitely agree with you, there are more resource-efficient ways to organize a workflow without needing hundreds of fields. However, with my current time constraints I'm unable to restructure the workflow altogether to accommodate this.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2016

I totally understand; sometimes your hands are tied, and there's not much you can do.

Just keep it in mind, and if you ever start running into performance issues, that would be the first place I'd start troubleshooting.  smile

Suggest an answer