Can we add two fields to JIRA, Assign task and working on Task

Shaun Wickramaratne April 21, 2016

Hi All,

At my current work place some developers have to work on urgent JIRAs while they work on allocated tasks. So by this time if we want to track the record, like particular developer assigned to this XX task, but currently he is working on YY task, is there anyway we can record this both tasks on JIRAs, ex like in two fields. OR is there any other ways we can overcome these sort of situations?

1 answer

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

Hi Shaun,

this typically is reflected in the Issue Status or some other form that indicates one of them is on hold which the other is in progress.

It is typical that each user got assign to them tens and sometimes hundreds of JIRA issues.

In order to get visibility you need to create report or dashboard that shows who is working on what and how many are assigned/in progress.

Let me know if you need more details.

Cheers,

Peter T

Thanks Peter,

So it means the best way is change the statues to Hold? and no solution to keep both?

But then when we are taking the report, it doesn't show those hold JIRAs, who is suppose to complete. (Only display it as Holder)

Is there anyway we can find out the relevant developer who suppose to complete that task when we change the status to Hold when he gets urgent other tasks?

Ex: Task XX suppose to do by Dev A, but he got urgent task. So change the status to Holder

When we take the report, Task XX On Hold, suppose to do by Dev A (similar to that)

IS there any way?

Thanks

Shaun W.

Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

I am not sure I understand your comment.

First when you say "But then when we are taking the report,"  which report are you referring to?

Second you may or may not change the status it is up to you. As I said a developer can have 10 tasks in progress, that up to you.

Thanks Peter.

I meant report, just dashboard. Sorry I used the wrong word. What my team wants is display all the JIRAs in particular sprint planing time on the dashboard. So during this time, some JIRA's change the status to holder as Dev gets other urgent tasks. (Generally if they are not working, they have to put under Holder), so on the dash board we need to display all the JIRAs which allocated to this time period (which is easy with a query), plus want to display who is the last assign person for any particular JIRA which is currently display assigner as a Holder (where I am struggling to find the answer now).

So Example, if any JIRA displays as a Holder on the dashboard, we need to see who is the last assigner name before it change to Holder.

Thanks for your time.

Shaun W.

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2016

Hi Shaun

I'm confused by your question.

If you have a developer assigned to TaskA and then another urgent TaskB comes in, the developer can still be assigned to both tasks. But TaskA can be put in the status Holder and TaskB can be In Progress.

Then you just need a report/dashboard/filter to show the task, status, and assignee.

Or am I missing something?

Chris

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events