Can not attach jpg files

jukka peltonen May 1, 2016

6.4.11#64026-sha1:78f6ec4 version of jira. We can not attach such type file, txt, pdf etc works fine, but not jpg pr jpeg. IF I attach and save, it will goes to time out and: We have server version of JIRA (not cloud)

Unexpected error

There was an unexpected error while loading the issue.

If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators.

After that it is not possible to open that issue any more. I can see the issue in backlog (or active sprint) but if I click it , it goes to timeout.

If I try to export it to excel, excel can not download it.

We just updated to this version of jira. Old jpg/jpeg files will open (attached before this update)

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jukka peltonen May 18, 2016

RESOLUTION: (this works for us)

It indicated that Java could not locate the appropriate class, we need to force JIRA to build all cache again by doing few steps below:

1. Shutdown JIRA
  2. Delete everything under work folder inside JIRA_INSTALL directory (e.g. $JIRA_INSTALLATION/work/* )
  3. Restart JIRA
0 votes
jukka peltonen May 2, 2016
Java Version1.8.0_77
Java VendorOracle Corporation
JVM Version1.8
JVM VendorOracle Corporation
JVM Implementation Version25.77-b03
Java RuntimeJava(TM) SE Runtime Environment
Java VMJava HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2016

Bother.  When I saw this, it was because the wrong JVM was in use.  But yours is fine.

I think this one needs to go to Atlassian support - I can't replicate it, and I can't find any reason why it's failing.  I'd give https://support.atlassian.com as much information as you can!

jukka peltonen May 3, 2016

Case moved to Atlassian support

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 2, 2016

Ah, I think I've seen this before.

Could you go to the JIRA "System information" page under the admin section and look at the Java related stuff - specifically, what Java is running and what version it is?

0 votes
jukka peltonen May 2, 2016

ception in thread "file-attachment-store:thread-489" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReader

at com.sun.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReaderSpi.createReaderInstance(JPEGImageReaderSpi.java:85)

at com.twelvemonkeys.imageio.plugins.jpeg.JPEGImageReaderSpi.createReaderInstance(Unknown Source)

at javax.imageio.spi.ImageReaderSpi.createReaderInstance(ImageReaderSpi.java:320)

at javax.imageio.ImageIO$ImageReaderIterator.next(ImageIO.java:529)

at javax.imageio.ImageIO$ImageReaderIterator.next(ImageIO.java:513)

at com.atlassian.core.util.thumbnail.ThumbnailUtil.getFirstImageReader(ThumbnailUtil.java:184)

at com.atlassian.core.util.thumbnail.Thumber.scaleImage(Thumber.java:213)

at com.atlassian.core.util.thumbnail.Thumber.createThumbnail(Thumber.java:291)

at com.atlassian.core.util.thumbnail.Thumber.retrieveOrCreateThumbNail(Thumber.java:270)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.thumbnail.DefaultThumbnailManager$3.withInputStream(DefaultThumbnailManager.java:252)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.thumbnail.DefaultThumbnailManager$3.withInputStream(DefaultThumbnailManager.java:248)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultAttachmentManager$8.get(DefaultAttachmentManager.java:874)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultAttachmentManager$8.get(DefaultAttachmentManager.java:868)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$2.get(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:145)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$2.get(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:141)

at com.atlassian.jira.issue.attachment.store.DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore$3.call(DefaultFileSystemAttachmentStore.java:178)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.Executors$DefaultSubmitter$CallableRunner.run(Executors.java:62)

at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LimitedExecutor$Runner.run(LimitedExecutor.java:93)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2016

Could you look at the atlassian-jira.log file and see what errors are logged in there at the time a jpg upload fails?

Suggest an answer