Burndown chart starts from the wrong number

Chris Nokes October 16, 2016

Hi, My Current Sprint Burndown chart starts from the wrong number entirely!

I have a total of 124 points in my sprint when I clicked START SPRINT but when I look at the burndown chart it Shows that the sprint started at around 100 point (grey line). This means my my actual workline (in red) shows that I am already well behind when in fact I should be ahead!

Why is this so vastly wrong? 

Steps:

Start Sprint containing tickets worth 124 points

Close 1 ticket worth 8 points and set a 13 point ticket to 'In Progress'

Check the Burndown chart for Active Sprint, it shows grey line starts at 100 and the redline well above that, how can this be????

3 answers

2 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2016

It could be that you have some story points on the sub-tasks, as sub-tasks story points aren't displayed in the charts

Chris Nokes October 16, 2016

Nope, only Stories have Story-Points. Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 votes
Ryan McLaughlin March 9, 2021

I am also having this problem. It seems like it is only counting point that carried over from the previous sprint and anything new gets added after the sprint starts.Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.27.18 AM.png

It is also causing problems in the velocity chartScreen Shot 2021-03-09 at 8.30.44 AM.png

I just had an epiphany. I think I know why this is happening. I am backdating the start of the sprint and Jira is grabbing all the changes I made during that time and including them in the sprint. The only reason I backdate (usually by about 5 minutes) is because it takes me a few minutes from the end of one sprint to starting the next to get everything arranged. I want the sprints to end at the same time 8:00am but when I choose 2 weeks it says it will end at 8:05. So I set the start time to 8:00am not thinking that jira will grab the last 5 minutes of rearranging tickets and include that in the sprint. 

My opinion, no matter what I set the start time to for the sprint. Anything that was done before I clicked the start button should not be included in the sprint.

0 votes
Chris Nokes October 17, 2016

I can still see no reason at all for this. It just seems to be summing the Points wrongly. On the backlog view it clearly says 'Total 124' but the burn-down clearly starts running down from 101. Whereas the red line starts from where ti should start from at around mid-120's.

This just looks like a JIRA Bug to me.

Suggest an answer