Adding a query to a Kanban Board

Elif Alverson December 10, 2015

Hello,  

I have added the JQL "fixVersion is not EMPTY AND project in (IT, DevOps) and status in (open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved)" to our Kanban Board to see all the JIRA Issues including the ones released. However I still cannot see the reopened issues with the fixversions on it under the AGILE-KANBAN BOARD-Only MY Open Issues????? 

What should I do ?

Thanks, 

Elif

4 answers

1 vote
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2015

On a process note.  We normally don't reopen issues once they have been released.  We will create a  new ticket for it and relate it to the old ticket.  In terms of process we consider it a new unit of work once it has been released.

0 votes

James, 

We cannot see the issues cloned from closed and released issues as well.  

0 votes

There are two filters under the Kanban Board: 1- Expedite : priority = Blocker & 2-Prioritize : priority in (Critical, Major). 

How can I see the issues reopened after they have been released under the Kanban Board - Only My Issues filter?

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2015

Ok, that might be a factor later, but we need to see the *whole* board filter. Go to the board, click "board" to get to the config menu, then "configuration", and go to the "general" page. What does that page say for: * Filter Query * Kanban board sub-filter

Here it is: * Filter Query: project in (IT, DevOps, "IT Security and Compliance") ORDER BY Rank ASC * Kanban board sub-filter : fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY

Nic, Can you please tell me which one needs to be changed to what JQL query. Thank you so much!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2015

Neither, they are perfectly correct and valid filters for using Kanban as it is intended. To expand on that... The board filter says "Look at these three projects" - that's clear and a really good choice of filter The Kanban filter says "Fix version is unreleased, or not set" - that is exactly what Kanban should do. Now, your stated problem is "I still cannot see the reopened issues with the fixversions". That is because they still have a fixVersion, and it is one that you have *released*. The filters correctly remove it. The next question is "does your re-open transition clear out the fixVersion field?" If it does not, then that's the problem!

Elif Alverson December 11, 2015

If I change the Kanban board sub-filter to "fixVersion is not EMPTY AND project in (IT, DevOps) and status in (open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved)" , it will fix my problem, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2015

Not really, because it will mean your Kanban board "release" function will stop working. You'll never be able to "release" the issues on the board,. That's ok if you're only using the board for reporting functions. But if you do this, it will mean the "done" column will grow to the point of uselessness.

I don't want to do that if I will not able to release the completed tickets. So is there another way to see reopened - released tickets on Kanban board or not?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2015

You have to clear the fix version out when you reopen them.

Is there a way to do that automatically? Why the JQL query I added under the kanban board Swimlanes does not work?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2015

Change the workflow - add a post-function on the "reopen" transition that clears the fixVersion. On the swimlane question - what query have you added and what is the result in the board? Does it have any effect at all?

I have added "fixVersion is not EMPTY AND project in (IT, DevOps) and status in (open, "In Progress", Reopened, Resolved)" and there was no affect on the Kanban board. if the swimlane query will not impact anything , What is the point?

Changing the workflow will not be a 100% solution, because some of the JIRA Issues were being cloned from closed/releases issue and they also show up with fix version. Not only the reopended ones.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2015

Your swimlane isn't working because it only results in one data set which is the same as your board already covers. A swimlane does not change what the board selects, it simply divides the existing selection up into groups. The core of your problem is that you are trying to say "show me stuff that I have told you I don't want to see because I'm using a Kanban board". It's your data and process combined with the way Kanban works that is the problem, not your filtering. The best solution for this case is for you to use Kanban as intended - accept that having a fix Version that is released on an issue means it will NOT appear on the board. Adjust your processes to work with that. The other work-around is to change what you define as "done" in Kanban - change the Kanban board sub-filter to allow what you want on the board and exclude what you define as "done". For example, changing it to "customfield_done = empty" would solve the problem. BUT, it means you can no longer use the Kanban board "release" function - you will have to manually set the custom field.

Thank you so much!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2015

Kanban boards assume that a set fixVersion means the issue is done with because you've released it.

Could you tell us what the whole board filter is?  Not just what you've added, but the whole thing.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2015

Including the Kanban board sub-filter which will restrict the items viewed. The default is usually "fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY" which will hide any issues with a releasedVersion.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 10, 2015

Yup, that's why I'm asking for the whole filter - because you're almost certainly going to find that it's built to do Kanban (i.e. removing issues you've said you don't want on it by releasing them!)

Suggest an answer