Order by Priority in the backlog

Supriya January 29, 2020

I am trying to add a filter that Orders all backlog items by their priority. Highest,high,medium,low..etc

project = "RTN" ORDER BY Rank DESC - Did not work

project = "RTN" ORDER BY Priority DESC - Did not work

How can I sort the backlog based on the items priority?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

This sounds like you are trying to use a quick filter to order the issues.  Quick filters do not do ordering, they are just for filtering out sub-sets of already selected (and ordered) issues.  Only the board menu controls the order, and should be set to "Rank" in most cases (otherwise you can't rank issues)

Supriya January 29, 2020

Nic - Thank you. I was able to create a filter inside issues and it works as intended.

But this is inside the project. Not at backlog level. Can I create some filter that works at backlog level?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 29, 2020

Boards work off filters like "project = "RTN" ORDER BY Rank DES"

You'll need to explain why "it does not work", as it works for everyone else and we don't know your actual symptoms.

Supriya January 30, 2020

Nic - I am not sure if I am following you. You mentioned quick filters won't work to filter by priority.

So when I created filter by clicking on Board-->Configure-->QuickFilters

OrderbyPriority JQL="project = "RTN" ORDER BY Rank DESC"

JQL="project = "RTN" ORDER BY Priority DESC"

Back to board --> I click on Order by Priority Nothing happens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when I go to Project -->Issues --> project = "RTN" ORDER BY Priority DESC

I save this filter as Order by Priority It works inside the project Issues.

I want this filter to work in the backlog area.

How can I create a filter that orders the items in the backlog ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2020

You say "You mentioned quick filters won't work to filter by priority."

No.  I did not say that.  I said that they will not SORT.  Please re-read "Quick filters do not do ordering, they are just for filtering out sub-sets of already selected (and ordered) issues."

>Back to board --> I click on Order by Priority Nothing happens.

Yes, that's because quick filters won't work for sorting.

------------------------

> when I go to Project -->Issues --> project = "RTN" ORDER BY Priority DESC , I save this filter as Order by Priority It works inside the project Issues.

Yes, it will work, that's what the searches are for.

>I want this filter to work in the backlog area.  How can I create a filter that orders the items in the backlog ?

Not a problem, set that as the board filter.  You won't be able to rank, but you'll get the sorted list that way.

Like Supriya likes this
0 votes
Supriya February 10, 2020

Thank you Nic. This is what I was looking for. A Board filter.

Suggest an answer