JQL to search for issues older than 30 days from a specific date

Joseph Baker April 3, 2019

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a filter to see issues that older than 30 days old from a specific date (For example I want all issues older than 30 days from November 1st 2018). I've played around with "createdDate >= -30d" but that will give me issues older than 30 days from today.

Any way to enter a date into that query? I also have access to scriptrunner issuefunction if there's a way to do it through that.

Thanks!

4 answers

5 votes
Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2019

Hi,

If you are going to use a custom date, why are you not setting it directly, i.e.

created < "2018-10-01"

?

I need the historical data on it, so rather than getting info on bugs with a specific createdDate, I need to get the issues 30 days old from a specific date.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2019

I am not sure to understand. A filter returns a set of issues based on a request. If "created" is not satisfactory, you could use other system dates such as "updated" or "resolved", or any other date custom field.

For example, if you need to get issues that are between 1 month old and 2 month old on 1st November 2018 (using updated date), that would be : 

updated > "2018-09-01" and updated < "2018-10-01"

If you need to know how old a specific issue is on a specific date, I am afraid you are gonna need some scripting to fill a custom field.

Antoine

What I need is a query that gives me "On October 1st, these issues are 30 days old" or another way of putting it their created date is 30 days older than October 1st.

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2019

Well you cannot subtract days from a specific date. But you can from jira built-in date functions such as : 

startOfMonth(-1) // the first day of the previous month

startOfMonth(-14d) // 14 days prior to the first day of this month

So in your case, because you cannot do

created <= "2018-10-01" -30d   (but you can do created <= -30d)

what you actually need is 

created <= "2018-09-01" (since there are 30 days in September). You could as well use 

created <= startOfMonth(-7) (since september was 7 months ago)

Like # people like this
mecorre1 April 10, 2020

+1 for : created <= "2018-10-01" -30d  functionality

Like # people like this
Paul Stasiak July 27, 2021

When I query updateDate >= "2021-07-17" I get 1525 results. This date is 40 days prior. I compared this with updateDate >= -40d and I get 527 results.

Why is there such a drastic difference between using a date 40 days prior and saying -40d?

Thanks

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Paul Stasiak July 27, 2021

Update: Using the date goes back the correct amount (apparently). Using -40d is going back 72 days not 40. Huh?

Like Antoine Berry likes this
Jason Mazmanian July 27, 2023

I used this JQL

project = NTER AND created >= -30d AND created <= 0d

Change to JQL and copy and paste. You can change it back to basic view to make changes without knowing the syntax. 

Like LynnG likes this
Jason Mazmanian July 27, 2023

I updated the above post to contain a better query. Setting the start and end points will force the query to only select those items.

LynnG August 17, 2023

I used created >= -300d AND created <= -5d to find forgotten tickets.

I embedded this into a longer JQL in Automation that runs daily and sends an email reminder. 

We had request that were exceeding SLAs, and this solved the problem

Like Yonaro Wever likes this
3 votes
Mario Nigrovic October 11, 2020

I'm surprised to discover that startOfMonth or startOfWeek accept a relative date, but "now" does not! That seems like kind of an oversight, doesn't it?

Antoine Berry
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2020

Hi,

If you want to use a relative date from "now",  you do not have to write it, i.e. 

created > -14d 

will retrieve issues created in the last 14 days.

Like # people like this
Mario Nigrovic October 13, 2020

I also found that startOfDay takes a relative argument.

Thanks, though. I'm quite a novice at this and the definitions of the fields are not always obvious...

0 votes
Frank
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2024

Apparently this doesn't work for Confluence CQL although the fields are the same. The documentation is poor on examples. Any idea how to filter relative in CQL?

0 votes
Antony Trucios January 17, 2023

Also to expand this answer, if you want a very specific day this also works.

"Date field" <= -30d and "Date field" >= -31d

Cheers!

Suggest an answer