Digitally signed pdf file is not reflecting when we open the document from Jira Core (cloud)directly

Satish Kumar Jayaram April 27, 2020

Hi

We upload a digitally signed *.pdf document into a JIRA Core (Cloud) ticket. When we download that document and open, then it shows the digitally signed document. But if we open that ticket directly from the issue (attachment) then digital signed is vanished. 

It is a major threat for us,  people could misuse the document without digitally signed. We request you to give us a fix for this problem. 

Note: If we download that document and open from our download directory it shows the digital signature, but if we open it as it is from the portal (through browser cache memory then it is not showing the digital sign)

Thanks

Satish

missingdigitalsign.JPGWithDigitalSign.png

2 answers

3 votes
Jean April 29, 2020

When you open an attached document, it opens up in a "previewer," which  will not show the digital signature. The issue is how Jira and browsers handle the document when you view it in Jira. This is due to the poor “preview” browsers.

Workaround:

1. Open Jira in the Chrome browser and view the item.
  2. Click on the document in the item. It will open in the “previewer,” and you will not see the digital signature at this time.
  3. Click on the small “download” icon in the upper right corner of the preview screen.
  4. On the bottom left of your screen, an icon indicating that the document has been downloaded will appear.
    Right click on this icon and select, “Always open in system viewer.”
    When the document opens, you will see the digital signature.
  5. From this point on, each time you download an attachment with a digital signature, the document should automatically open in the system viewer, and you should see the digital signature.
  6. Note: If you click on “Open in system view” instead of “Always open in system view,” you will need to click on the downloaded document icon on the bottom left of your screen and select one of these options. It is probably easiest to always download in the system view.

Should be similar for IE.

julie_anne_murphy78 September 8, 2020

Hi Jean

I am experiencing the same issue, and would like to utilize the work around, but I am having trouble locating the icon described in step 4.  I am using Chrome.  Can you post a screen shot to clearly show the step?

Thanks

Julie

tapraj November 8, 2021

@Jean  I opened the document in system viewer after downloading it locally. But unfortunately the digital signature is still lost.

Am I missing out on  anything?

0 votes
Johnny Mon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 17, 2023

Hi @sat@julie_anne_murphy78and @tapraj,

The workaround is to download the attachment and view it in Adobe Acrobat Reader

I just want to let you know there is a feature request created for this: JRACLOUD-74522.  It'll great if users can add their use-case and business impact to the ticket to gain traction and the attention of Atlassian product management to increase the priority of the ticket.  There is a similar ticket for Jira Data Center as well,  JRASERVER-65830, that is gaining momentum.

Please refer to our  Atlassian Data Center and Server Bug Fix Policy for details on how issues are prioritized.

Regards,
Johnny

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events