DB Set up failing when using an AD account

Javier Pantoja November 21, 2022

Trying to use an AD account to connect Jira to the SQL server but when i test the connection It says cant connect to the DB. On the SQl side i get the following error message "Attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication." I tried to use the procedure below but it did not help. Any idea on how i can use an AD account to connect Jira to our SQL DB. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/use-integrated-authentication-with-sql-server-in-jira-server-939494383.html

591_536_1.25.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2022

@Javier Pantoja  Hi and Welcome to Attlassian Community

normally the error message tells you, that you're using Windows credentials to log into a SQL Server, which expects a SQL Server User credential.

In your case you must use an explicit created SQL Server user with the appropriate rights or run your service under another Windows account which has the appropriate permissions on your SQL Server

The url which you are referring also tells the same you should have separate user with full SQL credentials.

Vikram P

Javier Pantoja November 22, 2022

@vikram Thank you for the reply. The AD account/service account i am trying to use is a domain account which has the proper access to the SQL DB that i am trying to connect jira to. Any other steps i can take ? We have been using the article below.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/use-integrated-authentication-with-sql-server-in-jira-server-939494383.html

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2022

@Javier Pantoja 

Do you configure all the parameters as specified in the URL.

Can you provide other logs if any.

Vikram P  

Javier Pantoja November 23, 2022

Hello @vikram 

Yes we tried our best to follow the steps and configurations within the URL but no luck. We did not see any Failed authentication logs on the SQL server side and when we tested the connection we were greeted with the same authentication failed error on Jira side. Is there are any logs on Jira side that would tell us more ? Any we should be looking at ? 

vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 24, 2022

@Javier Pantoja 

The logs would be in your jira home directory 

ex:- /app/atlassian/jira/logs --- with file name atlassian-jira.log or catalina.out.

VIkram P

Javier Pantoja November 25, 2022

Thanks i will check there and see if i can find any more errors on the Jira side 

Suggest an answer