Cloning Epics in batches leads to duplicates. Is there a way to circumvent this?

Tim Conradi
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

Hello, 

let me first explain my use case: 

I created a "template project" with the purpose that the teams can then use this to clone "regular work" issues that every of our teams must to do in certain time periods (Milestones) into their projects, so they do not have to always set them up manually.

The idea now was, that they can clone out their tasks from predefined "Releases" - in our case the Milestones one release at a time so that they do not have all the work in their project ahead of reaching their next milestone. 

The Tasks are ordered like this: 

There are Tasks in these Milestones that run throughout several Releases - so multiple Milestones. These I setup as Epics so that in these Epics there can be Tasks that then define what will be completed in/until a specific Milestone. 

So e.g. Epic 1 has 8 Tasks and runs from Milestone 1 to 8, Epic 2 runs only from Milestone 2 to 8. 

Now to my Challenge: 

If I clone Epic 1 in my teams project before Milestone one I will get the Epic 1 (tagged with fix version: Milestone 1) with the Task 1 that is linked to that epic and tagged with fix version: Milestone 1
When the Team now moves to the next release Milestone 2 they want to clone the new/missing Epics that where not already part of that release, as well as the new tasks that where now part of the new release. 
What happens now is that JIRA will clone Epic 1 again with the same name and create a Epic1.1 so to say with the linked Issue in fix version: Milestone 2.

Now my Question: 

Is there any way that JIRA can re-establish the link so that I get the Issues that are ordered under Epic 1 in this second wave of cloning also back into Epic 1 and not create a whole new separate Epic 1.1?

Hope this is somewhat reasonable to understand :D If not i'm happy to go into more detail or provide some screenshots of the setup. 

0 answers

Suggest an answer