Allocate Assignee based on linked Issue (using Single Issue Linker)

Hightower D November 24, 2021

I have a parent issue of type "Group", and a child issue of type "Issue" however, I have created a custom field called "Linked Group" which is a single issue linker type field ( that points to the list of "Group" issuetypes. 

When an "issue" is transitioned from "Open" to "Assigned" via the "Assign" Transition I wanted to apply the following logic... 

• IF there is a linked Group ( via the issue linker field ( called "Linked Group" ) then. 
  • Find the Linked Group's  Assignee value. 
  • Then update the "issue" object to make the issue.assignee == the linked group's assignee. 

I have looked at everything ( and everywhere)  however I cannot get it right..  -- Some of my challenges are: 

• I dont actually know what link type is used on the issueLinker type ( I heard its not a bi-directional link) 
  • I dont know what the best way to implement this is ( since i do have ScriptRunner)
  • essentially, i could move the "Group" issue to a "Linked Epic" or "Parent"  -- however the users did want to see the field name "Linked Group" from the screen -- so also looking for advice there, 

Much thanks! 

1 answer

0 votes
Leonard Chew
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2021

Hi Hightower

I strongly recommend you to use Epics for your use case.
Epics have built-in functionalities you can use.

Creating a big workaround, only because your users are not happy with the word "Epic" instead of "Group", will lead to loads of problems that can be avoided.

That said...

I don't know what you mean with "Issue Linker" Field. Do you mean the "Issue Picker" Script Field provided by Scriptrunner?

As for your question:

You can achieve your workaround-goal by using a scriptrunner postfunction on your transition open->assigned

That script would get the assignee of the "linked group issue" and set it on the current issue (which is being transitioned)

Suggest an answer