Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSM Cloud - collapsing lots of Request Types and Issue Types to a just a few.

For Where October 25, 2022

If you have about 20 Request Types and 15 Issue Types in JSM with different JSM projects, if you need to streamline them all to just a few Issue Types and Request types, how will you proceed at all.

Just need to see how other admin will address this issue. Projects are live in all cases.

3 answers

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Lewis Cook October 25, 2022

I'd probably start by setting up some filters to understand which of the issue types have had issues created in the last 30/60/90 days and potentially further back dependant on how active your service desk projects are.

Probably similar to see which issue/request types have had issues updated in recent time periods in order to understand if some of the issue types aren't raised often but are active for some time afterwards.

Then probably discuss with your service desk team their thoughts on the issue/request type options in place and what they believe are the most used/useful. Using your data from the filters in the discussion.

I guess you could also have a look at the field options across the various issue types to see if there are any duplicates or types you could combine together.

Once you have done all of the above hopefully you have some candidates for deprecation, then I would probably look to make some bulk operations in order to move the dead issues into more appropriate "new" types moving forward. Bearing in mind the following:

- Any reporting/SLA's etc that may hinge on the old Issue/Request type

- Potential customer facing updates triggered by your bulk update of issue type and presumably status

- Potential "locked down" statuses where issues may no longer be editable

You may need to work with your service desk team to label existing issues with their new issue type (assuming it isn't a straight swap).

My initial thoughts on how I would approach the situation.

4 votes
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2022

HI @For Where 

You can use Move issues to new issue types. This is available as a bulk issue operation.

The target issue type will need to be setup in the project issue types in order to be available.

When all issue types have been rearranged. You can delete the unused/unwanted types.

For Custom Request types, first hide i.e. remove from any groups to prevent further use.

Customer Request types can then be bulk updated to the required values and the Request configurations left can be hidden or removed.

There may be gotchas where you are changing both. Map out all the changes required to plan best path.

0 votes
For Where October 25, 2022

Thanks guys, I have clarity on how to proceed. The bulk operation seems likely.

Anne Saunders
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2022

Yep. The hard part is making sure you do all the foundation work @Lewis Cook laid out and cover all of your edge cases. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events